Skip navigation
nagaho3
Currently Being Moderated

Copied items are changing layers

Mar 29, 2013 6:54 PM

Tags: #layers #copy

When I hold down shift-option and drag an object (the shift keeps the copy parallel with the original), the copy is sometimes ending up on another layer. I tried locking the lower layer before I copied and it still went into the locked layer (and then my copy was locked as well!). It happens with both text boxes and lines created in InDesign.

Is there a setting I can use to keep that from happening? The objects need to be on separate layers since they overlap. Both layers have to be visible when I copy so I can align the objects.

I am using InDesign 5.5 (7.5.3) for Mac and a Mac wireless mouse, if that makes a difference.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2013 3:40 AM   in reply to nagaho3

I don't think you can drag a copy to a new layer as you are creating it (it's definitley counter intuitive). When you make the selection of the object you want to copy you are activating the layer it's on.

I think I would drag the copy and leave it selected, then move it by dragging the little square on the right of the object or layer name in the layers panel (depending on if the layer is expaneded) onto the correct layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to nagaho3

When working in the document page you will not be able to create the object and move it on a different layer at the same time however if you are working in the layers panel then you could use "ALT" key to create the copy of the object and move it on a different layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to nagaho3

As Peter and Manish implied, this is NOT normal behavior for InDesign.

So I'd look to troubleshooting techniques. Start by restoring your preferences:

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points