Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Was the abysmal file upload feature fixed for CS6

Mar 29, 2013 7:27 PM

CS5 is just the worst. Almost better to FTP files directly. Connecting to server is hit and miss.
Have reverted back to GoLive for reliabilty and speed for site management.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

I am a former GoLive user (version 4 to CS2) and have no problem at all with the FTP features in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

I never used it in CS5. I heard a lot of complaints about it, but that these were addressed in CS6 I was relieved to find out that I had no prblems whatsoever in CS6. YMMV

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

did they ever make the menu fields resizable? Always hate that they give you a fixed box for URLs and anything else of only about 20 characters max.

Instead of using the Properties Panel, go to Window > Tag Inspector (F9). Drag handles to make it bigger/smaller.   See screenshot from CS6:

CS6-TagInspector.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 10:29 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

That is for you to decide. Though I have never used CS5 for FTP I have owned versions from CS3-CS6 and one thing that I notice is that some features that were in GoLive are starting to appear in DW with each newer version. One that I like is the ability to point and shoot at a file when you want to make a link. That was one of my favorite features in GoLive that just appeared in this version of DW (I didn't own CS5.5 so I don't know if it showed up there). A feature from GoLive that is missing in DW and yet to be added is displaying anchors in the files in such a way that it is easy to link to them. That was a snap in GoLive using the pointer because there was something to point at but in DW there is nothing to point at and instead requires several steps to do. That I assume will be introduced in in further upgrades of DW.

Regarding renting DW on the Cloud that is a good question. It is probably worth it to pros who do this all the time but not for someone like me who only needs to maintain  1-2 websites. I will  be hanging on to my owned version for as long as possible. I know there are still GoLive users who refuse to migrate to DW even though GoLive doesn't work on newer systems or OS'es so they just maintain them on virtual machines and other such expedients just so they can run GoLive. Anyway I can't fault Adobe for trying an innovative experiment with the Cloud, whether it succeeds or not only time will tell.

VL Branko

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to VL Branko

The only way to find out whether Dreamweaver CS6 (or any other program) fulfills your needs is to download the 30-day free trial, and test it for yourself. Something you need to be aware of is the change in policy towards upgrades. Currently, only CS5 and CS5.5 qualify for upgrade pricing to CS6. If the new upgrade policy is implemented, you won't qualify for the upgrade discount to the next version of Dreamweaver unless you own CS6.

No date has been announced for the next version of Creative Suite, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that Adobe might want to have something to sing and dance about at Adobe MAX, which begins on 4 May.

I am not an Adobe employee, so I don't know when the next version will come out, nor do I know if there will be any changes to the upgrade/pricing policies. Deciding whether to upgrade or to subscribe to the Creative Cloud isn't always an easy decision. My personal feeling in the past has always been that if you're going to upgrade, you should do so as early as possible in order to get maximum value out of the price paid. If the "upgrade from previous version only" policy is enforced, switching to a Creative Cloud subscription might make more sense. But it does have the drawback that once you stop paying, the software ceases working.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

I've been very happy with the Cloud.  One monthly price gives you access to 17 software titles plus minor & major upgrades as soon as they become available.  And many other perks...

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/buying-guide.html

Current owners of CS3+ can join the Cloud for 40% off the normal rate which is a real bargain considering all the software you get.  You can also join the Cloud for a free 30-day trial to see if you like it.

Perpetual License users do NOT get major upgrades until such time as the new software (CS6.5 or 7) is released.  And with the one version back policy, you really need to upgrade regularly or lose that discount.

As of May 1st, Adobe will no longer sell boxed versions of its Creative Suite of software.  Fulfillment will be entirely via digital downloads.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

If you take advantage of the 40% discount, the Full Cloud is only $29.95 / month.  Or $19.99 / month for a single application.  

https://creative.adobe.com/plans

I don't use all the Cloud product offerings either. But they're available if I ever need them for a special project.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

Who knows?  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  Only Adobe knows for sure.  I suspect they will keep the price point low enough to entice new members to join and encourage old ones to return.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming a thousand imprecations to convert to DW. I was very happy with AGL but had to face the reality that I would have to make the change eventually and better to do it sooner than later. As it is I waited several years. I was not at all happy at first, but because of the kind help of all the members of this forum who held my hand and in many cases are still doing so I made the conversion and feel that it was worth it. I am learning a lot and actually was able to fix problems that eluded me when I was using GL because in GL I did almost everything in design view, where as in DW I use split view to keep a close eye on the code, and not relying on design view except to get an idea of where everything is placed. I now feel comfortable in DW and if I were to go back to AGL (I have it installed on Win XP of my virtual machine) I feel lost there. I feel that though AGL had many nice features it didn't encourage the user to look under the hood enough to see what was going on in the code and instead try to do everything in design view. DW is more precise in that the user is forced to be more aware of the code. With the continued "Adobification" of DW more and more of the nice features on GL will hopefully show up in DW. That way we could get a  precise program that is easier to use.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points