Skip navigation
tdwright45
Currently Being Moderated

using music

Mar 30, 2013 3:51 PM

trying to create a video but this prgram only accepts smaty whatever songs. how do i get around this????

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to tdwright45

Welcome to the forum.

While PrE will work with SmartSound (some cuts included), it works with other music, as well.

The ultimate source is PCM/WAV, but it works with other formats (maybe just not so completely, or as well as WAV), as well.

From Get Media>Files and Folders, can you not see the music files in their respective folders?

If you can locate the desired files, when you attempt to Import them, what happens? Do you get any error messages?

Also, once Imported, some users have had issues when placing Audio files onto either of the two Fixed Audio Tracks: Soundtrack and Narration. Most users never have such issues, and they appear to be Project-centric. If you do have any issues, the "fix" has always been to just Move those Clips to a "regular" Audio Track, that is empty.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to tdwright45

tdwright45 wrote:

Thanks. I cannot se any of my other music files. iPod or otherwise. Not recognized by smart music.

Sent from my iPhone

You are not going to if you use the Music tab at the bottom, right part of the screen.  That is the "delux" option tied into a system that can provide amazing resourses where sound tracks can cost $50, like a pro would want.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to tdwright45

The "regular" way of getting generic music tracks into your video is exactly like loading clips.  Do "Add Media > Files and Folders" in the upper left.  Search for the track(s) you want.  Select them and they will end up in you "Project Assets" box.  Once there, you can drag them to a track exactly like you do video clips. 

Once your music is in an audio track you have lots of controls available. 

Note that none of this may work well it you are trying to use copy writed tracks from iTunes or similar.  The lawyers do not want you to use your iPod tracks.

I like PrE11 a lot.  But, I don't think much of the way the Music tab tries to send you to a third party that wants you to buy expensive music tracks.  That's for people that earn a living with this stuff.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to tdwright45

I cannot se any of my other music files. iPod or otherwise.

Did you use the Get Media process?

Where are your "music" files located on your system?

What format are they in, such as MP3, WAV, etc.?

SmartSound is for actually "creating" a music soundtrack FROM the SmartSound Library files, that are installed with the SmartSound Sonicfire Pro music "creation" application, or from additional SmartSound Library files, that are purchased, as Bill states. Think of SmartSound Sonicfire Pro as an add-on, music creation program. For more info, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4912568#4912568. While I find it to be a great and useful tool, it is not necessary to use it.

PrE can Import many types of Audio files, music, narration or SFX (Sound Effects). They do NOT go through SmartSound. SmartSound is for ONLY using SmartSound Library files.

With Get Media>Folders and Files, you will get a dialog window, like Windows Explorer, or Apple's Finder, where you would just navigate to where your existing Audio files are located, and then you can choose to Import all supported Audio files.

As Bill states, once you have Imported the desired Audio files (just like with Video files) into your Project, you can just drag them to your Timeline, where desired.

The answers to the three questions, at the beginning of this Reply, will tell us how to help you the best.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to whsprague

But, I don't think much of the way the Music tab tries to send you to a third party that wants you to buy expensive music tracks.  That's for people that earn a living with this stuff.

I agree that perhaps Adobe could have done the GUI layout a bit differently, and better. As Music is a pretty specific and also large tab, I would have made it a "two part" operation: the SmartSound Library files, AND a repeat of Get Media>Files and Folders, like from the Toolbar above the GUI. Perhaps that version of Get Media could have the default "supported files" already set to WAV, MP3, etc. Just a thought.

As for SmartSound, I do agree that, with the price of additional SmartSound Library music, it is not all that cost-effective for the casual hobbyist. However, when I first encountered SmartSound (added to Pinnacle Studio at about version 6, IIRC), I knew that I held a great deal of power for the "creation" of music for my hobby videos. I was so impressed, that the next step for me was to invest in the full "Home Movie" set of SmartSound Library music. Back then, they offered a full compliment of useful music, bundled in one package, though I cannot recall what that price was. The music files were 22KHz, so not quite "high fidelity," but that bundle was very useful. I still use some of that music in my Projects. Over the years, I did buy some other "bundles," when I had sort of "used up" that Home Movie collection. Then, when I did begin using Premiere, and producing commercial Projects, I saw the need to expand my library of SmartSound material.

When one Registers their SmartSound Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks (goes back to the SmartSound Quick Tracks in older versions of Premiere), they will receive e-mails on "sales." I began looking for those carefully, and checking out just what was on sale. Once, those "sales" were only about 3-4 times per year, and I used to post notifications here, and at Muvipix.com, when they happened. Those gave a SmartSound user a reduced cost, while building a large library of SmartSound music. Now, the "sales" come more frequently, and there is seldom a time, when something isn't on sale. Over the years, I accumulated a vast library of SmartSound files, and just finished filling up a 5 disc bundle, at a sale price.

At a point in the past, SmartSound began offering single-cuts, for sale, so that one did not need to buy the whole disc. Like with a music CD/album, I find that there are specific tracks, that are much better (read "more useful"), than others on a disc. The Maestro (think of this as a multi-tiered Explorer) function can be filtered to show, Owned by Me, On this Computer, or SmartSound Store, and also via various attributes of the music, such as Genre, Tempo, Intensity, or even Keywords, so that one can see all available  music from SmartSound. I find this to be very useful. I first search MY collection, but often need to go beyond that, though it is now very, very extensive. When I was active commercially, I had amassed a collection that was about 80% of what SmartSound offered at that time. When I need to go beyond my personal collection, I will search the SmartSound Store, until I find just the cut that I am looking for. Then, I weigh buying just that cut, or the full disc. What I buy will depend on how useful the other cuts on that disc are, but usually I am tempted (by pricing) to buy the full disc. It just depends.

One of the beauties of SmartSound music is that it is Royalty Free, so I can use it in commercial Projects. When using other music, such as iTunes, or Amazon, I do not have the rights to use that music, so cannot use it in a commercial Project, unless I contact the rights-holder and negotiate for the use. Some video-hosting sites, such as YouTube, are getting very aware of copyrights, and in many cases will NOT allow one to use non Royalty Free music, when posting. If one is ONLY doing a Project for their viewing/listening, then iTunes, or similar is fine. However, if they play that Project for anyone else, they are actually breaking a few laws, and if they make copies for others, more laws are being broken. While the chances that the rights-holder will track them down, and haul them into court, are small, laws are being broken.

Besides the pure legal aspects, some problems with using non Royalty Free music are that much of it, has some form of DRM (Digital Rights Management), and then the music already has a set Duration, Tempo, etc.. It has already been recorded, and one is at the mercy of the engineer, who mixed that song. With SmartSound, one can first set the desired Duration, to match their visuals. With the Multi-Track SmartSound material, they can change a lot more, such as the Tempo. If one has the Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition (available for purchase, unlike the Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks version, which is free), and a Multi-Track SmartSound song, they can do so much more, like extracting JUST the lead and bass guitars, or maybe just the keyboard, or the drums/percussion. The adjustments are truely limitless. The ability to make such major scoring changes is very useful, such as extracting only background instruments, to become a bed, below narration, or dialog, and best of all, it's Royalty Free.

For me, the use of Audio in a movie, is as important as the Video portion. I could not produce (even for my personal enjoyment), without music, and SFX.

Just some personal observations on SmartSound with Premiere.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

As for SmartSound, I do agree that, with the price of additional SmartSound Library music, it is not all that cost-effective for the casual hobbyist. However, when I first encountered SmartSound (added to Pinnacle Studio at about version 6, IIRC), I knew that I held a great deal of power for the "creation" of music for my hobby videos. I was so impressed, that the next step for me was to invest in the full "Home Movie" set of SmartSound Library music. Back then, they offered a full compliment of useful music, bundled in one package, though I cannot recall what that price was. The music files were 22KHz, so not quite "high fidelity," but that bundle was very useful. I still use some of that music in my Projects. Over the years, I did buy some other "bundles," when I had sort of "used up" that Home Movie collection. Then, when I did begin using Premiere, and producing commercial Projects, I saw the need to expand my library of SmartSound material.

When one Registers their SmartSound Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks (goes back to the SmartSound Quick Tracks in older versions of Premiere), they will receive e-mails on "sales." I began looking for those carefully, and checking out just what was on sale. Once, those "sales" were only about 3-4 times per year, and I used to post notifications here, and at Muvipix.com, when they happened. Those gave a SmartSound user a reduced cost, while building a large library of SmartSound music. Now, the "sales" come more frequently, and there is seldom a time, when something isn't on sale. Over the years, I accumulated a vast library of SmartSound files, and just finished filling up a 5 disc bundle, at a sale price.

At a point in the past, SmartSound began offering single-cuts, for sale, so that one did not need to buy the whole disc. Like with a music CD/album, I find that there are specific tracks, that are much better (read "more useful"), than others on a disc. The Maestro (think of this as a multi-tiered Explorer) function can be filtered to show, Owned by Me, On this Computer, or SmartSound Store, and also via various attributes of the music, such as Genre, Tempo, Intensity, or even Keywords, so that one can see all available  music from SmartSound. I find this to be very useful. I first search MY collection, but often need to go beyond that, though it is now very, very extensive. When I was active commercially, I had amassed a collection that was about 80% of what SmartSound offered at that time. When I need to go beyond my personal collection, I will search the SmartSound Store, until I find just the cut that I am looking for. Then, I weigh buying just that cut, or the full disc. What I buy will depend on how useful the other cuts on that disc are, but usually I am tempted (by pricing) to buy the full disc. It just depends.

You worked hard to write that.  I'm honored that you replied.

With your encouragement in other posts, I decided to make SmartSound work.  It took awhile because I had to discover a patch was needed.  I agree now that it is a good tool for several reasons, especially the flexibility and control of creating an audio track.  You are right in every respect about how effective it is. 

My problem is the cost.  PrE11 is consumer priced and aimed at amateurs.  It is not PrPro aimed at people that make a living with video.  SmartSound has had my email address since I first tried to make it work many months ago.  I recently "refreshed" my preference to get email from them.  I check their website occasionally.  So far, there has never been a price below $50 for a track. 

This is their current pricing:

Capture.JPG

This is their "sale" pricing:

Capture2.JPG

If there was a way to get tracks for non commercial use, I would love to give them $5 to $10 per track I want to buy some. 

Your point is that it is a well done, high quality resource, and I agree.

My point is that it is way over priced for Elements users.  The 10 free tracks are OK but at 8 of them have no appeal to me. 

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

You make a good point about the cost of the music. I do not want to add up what I have spent on SmartSound over the last 10, or so years - not good for my heart!

Still, this might be a place for a hobbyist to start: http://www.smartsound.com/royalty-free-music/library/Home+Movie+Music

Going way back, I invested in a similar collection (long since gone in that exact form).

Also, as I started using SmartSound, when in its infancy, I gathered up several different Libraries of "free music" from SmartSound, as they changed up the cuts with each version of Pinnacle Studio, to some degree. Seemed that they added a few, and deleted a few, as each version came out. I just collected those, adding to my collection. Same when they first introduced Sonicfire - slightly different free collections, and those changed slightly, with each update to Sonicfire, through the introduction of Pro 5 (both editions). As per another thread, you pointed out that the "free music collection" now, was the same one, that is included in PrE 11. Still, that is likely to change, at least slightly, as time goes by.

Personally, I find the majority of the individual titles to be priced too high, but that is just my thought on the matter, and one reason that I will always look at the "collection," that the individual cut comes from, before buyiing just the single. Also, some cuts appear in more than one collection, and some of those collections suit my purposes better, than others. A bit of research can pay dividends - sort of like seeking out a Rolling Stones' Greatest Hits CD vs the original "albums," where those songs were first released.

One of the reasons that sources, such as iTunes, have become so popular is that one can most often just buy the cuts, that they like, rather than a full CD/Album. That aspect changed personal music greatly. The cost (from about $1 - $4 for iTunes) is a benefit too.

However, for use in a Video, there ARE considerations:

• One is pretty much relegated to the Duration of that song, unless they do some editing. One must match that Duration with their Video, or their SlideShow.
    • One does not have the rights to use that music.
    • One gets only the mix, that was done by the recording engineer/producer, as opposed to the SmartSound Multi-Track collections, and especially with the Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition.
    • There is often some form of DRM on that music.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

You worked hard to write that.  I'm honored that you replied.

I think that you posit some great points, and that they deserve a response. Your considerations are often echoed in this forum, by others, and I only hope that such threads will be useful to others, including the OP in this thread. Though I have gone tangiential from the OP's original question, I hope that they benefit from more discussion on what SmartSound is, since they had encountered it, and it seems that they were confused by it, at least to some degree.

In the OP's case, with existing music files on their computer, they just need to know how to Import that music, into their Project, to be used, as desired.

As is probably very obvious, I am a big fan of SmartSound, and have been for many years, and through many NLE programs. I saw value to me, even when I was just a hobbyist, and then even more, when I began doing editing/production for paying clients. Many others, however, might not find that same "value."

Even with a collection of 1000+ vinyl albums, 3000+ CD's/SACD's and an extensive library of iTunes, I seldom go looking there, when I need music - I head to my SmartSound.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

when I need music - I head to my SmartSound.

Hunt

Do you have a way to get them to offer some sale pricing?  I want to do what you did, on a smaller scale.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to whsprague

Unfortunately, no. While I work WITH SmartSound (and also their Technical Support, to make sure that any article that I write in the various forums, is accurate), I do not work FOR SmartSound. Just like all users, I wait for the e-mails, and then look into what might be included in some form of a "sale."

Lately, I have seen fewer deep discounts, as they once did for selected collections, and more sales featuring a discount for multiple discs, such as the one that you linked to above.

Once, the biggest discounts came at the end of the year (possibly in an attempt to sell off inventory, for tax reasons?). I would often wait until then, to add collections. I have not seen those, at least recently.

Were I a marketing consultant for SmartSound, I would urge more releases for that "Home Movie" group, as most hobbyists really do not need Audio fidelity above 22KHz. That was the Sample-Rate of my old "Home Movie" collection, but have not checked the recent offerings. Still, few casual users will likely experience any quality issues, vs either 44.1KHz (CD Sample-Rate), or 48KHz (DVD Sample-Rate). However, since SmartSound is doing original production, it costs them as much to do 22KHz, as to do 48KHz (not counting the Multi-Tack aspect). I would anticipate that all production is done originally at 48KHz, and then SmartSound just down-samples, to offer "cheaper" options.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I think I might be begining to understand. 

This discussion lead me to do some searching.  I found so many free or cheap, like a dollar, sound tracks under "Creative Commons" or "Royalty Free" that I stopped looking. 

One example is http://mfvgroup.com/ where they say "If you use the music for your own pleasure, making your personal videos, it's not considered professional use; if you earn money from the use of the music then it is."  Then they route you to Amazon where you can try and buy an amazing number of tracks for $.99 as mp3s. 

SmartSound needed to make some changes and have!

The BIG surprise was here:  https://vimeo.com/musicstore .  There are 75,000 tracks, about 30,00 are free.  SmartSound shows up!  If you push the Browse SmartSound button you get almost 4,000 $2 tracks with several theme choices each and the abiltiy to make custom lengths.   

SmartSound is alive and well.   They just moved the "channel".  Pushing the SmartSounds button in PrE runs you through the $50 dollar channel.  Pushing the Smartsound button on Vimeo runs you through the $2 channel!   For $48 in savings I can certainly download the file and bring it into the project though "Add Media".

No wonder SmartSound has not sent me any special sales!

I think PrE needs to abandon the SmartSound link. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

Great find. I did not realize that any SmartSound material was available through Vimeo - did not know that Vimeo even offered music!

I looked at many of those cuts, and checked against my collection. Quite a few have been available on collections, that have been included with Sonicfire Pro. For instance, when I bought Sonicfire Pro (about version 2?), I got 8 SmartSound DVD's (collections) with it. When I upgraded to Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition, I got several more. Until you Replied, I had actually forgotten where those came from, and when I started finding I had many, I checked the "collection" names, and then checked my discs. Most of those came from that included material with Sonicfire Pro. Thanks for the "memory jog" too.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points