Skip navigation
tsprc
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 application will not open!!

Mar 31, 2013 9:15 AM

I just bought the combo PSE11 and PE11 and installed them both.  PSE11 works great but PE11 will not open at all.  I tried several uninstalls and installs, disabling windows essentials, defender, all spyware on my machine and everytime get the same result.  PE11 appears to install fine but when you go to open application there is no response.  I am using a Dell xps with intel i7 12 gig RAM running windows 7.  Any help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to tsprc

>Dell xps

For those who do not have that exact computer... how about some details?

Laptop or Desktop?

Video graphics adapter?

Video graphics device driver version?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to tsprc

Welcome to the forum.

John T. has mentioned the #1 cause of PrE not launching - the video driver.

His questions are very important, and would be where I would start.

To restate:

1. What is the video card in your computer, both make and model?
    2. What is the version of the installed video driver?
    3. Is that the latest one? Note: with many computers from major mfgrs., such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., the computer company will re-wrap the latest drivers from nVidia, or AMD/ATI, so the user needs to go to the computer site, and get/check the latest available driver.

PrE must interface more intensely with the video driver, than does PSE, so it is common for PSE to run fine, but PrE to hang on an obsolete video driver. Even simple OS updates can render a video driver obsolete, and that is why video card mfgrs. will issue updates almost monthly. One little caveat here - there have been some noted issues with a few of the more recent AMD/ATI video drivers, the Catalyst drivers, and in some cases, users have had to roll-back their Catalyst drivers, to get things to work.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to tsprc

Do not count on Windows to know the most recent information

You need to go direct to the Dell site... IF they have a special driver that is only for that card in a Dell computer... as Hunt said in point #3

OR... you go direct to the AMD/ATI site and search for a later driver for that model

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to tsprc

On the AMD Web site: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64. aspx, the latest Catalyst for the HD 6450 w/ Win7-64-bit, is dated 1/17/2013. Do not know what the latest Catalyst version that Dell will have, but they usually stay pretty current.

I would check Dell, plug in your computer's specs., video card and OS, and check there.

If Dell does not have an updated driver, you could download and try to install from AMD/ATI. Be aware that some computer mfgrs. do a pretty hefty re-write/re-package, so installing the driver from AMD/ATI might not work.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to tsprc

OK, thanks for reporting. I am not surprised that the AMD beta will not install on your Dell.

Now, I am not an AMD/ATI user (all cards here are nVidia), but I have seen several recent posts in the Photoshop Forum, where several recent AMD/ATI drivers had issues with that program. Photoshop CS 6 interfaces with a vide driver, almost as much as PrE does, and far more than PSE does. It is critical of video drivers. From my reading, it seems that the two most recent, previous Catalyst drivers, plus the latest beta, have caused issues with PS CS 6.

As a test, I would create a System Restore Point for now (with the latest non-beta driver), then download and install an earlier Catalyst (I would hope that Dell also keeps a few older drivers available?), and test.

I usually keep a few older versions of my nVidia drivers in a folder, just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to tsprc

One question, that I forgot to ask, is do you have any VST's, most likely installed for an audio-editing program?

If so, those can cause PrE to hang, when trying to load.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to tsprc

For more details on VST's, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3077222#3077222

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to tsprc

Windows Movie Maker, or WMM-Live, should not have any "rogue" VST's. Those are most often encountered when one has a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) program, with VST's included, or added to that.

I am at a lost to explain why PrE will not launch.

You might get some tips from this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Wish that I had more, other than good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points