Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Old B&W Photo

Mar 31, 2013 12:49 PM

Tags: #photos #windows_7 #elements_8

Hi All

I have Elements 8.  The issue is an old B&W photo in which the dark elements have become shiny.  I'm guesing its an issue with the silver, but I don't know what the issue is called.  Since I can't put a name to the problem I can't really search for a solution.  Can anyone Help?  I'd really like to clean up the picture as it's the earliest picture I have of my mom.

George_M7

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to George_M7

Please post the picture so that we can help appropriately. You can do that via the camera icon at the top of the reply box.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to George_M7

George,

I worked on this picture late yesterday, then started over again this morning.

Your Mom's hair over the forehead remains ok. So I used the lasso tool to select a patch, placed the patch on its own layer (CTRL+J).

With the move tool, I positioned  the patch over the top. I ended up duplicating the patch layer 7 times and placing each one to cover the defective area.

I needed to clone over two small areas.

I painted the right sleeve

With the sharpen tool I sharpened her eyes, nose and lips selectively. I did not want to sharpen the entire picture, as that would destroy the soft look.

As I look it over now, there remains a small blemish over the right collar. This can be corrected with painting.

Perhaps you can scan this picture to better advantage, as the resolution is low

blackwhite_2.jpg.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to hatstead

Additional work

blackwhite_4.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to George_M7

I first converted the picture to B&W, then cloned over that streak in her hair with adjacent good hair. Also lightened the picture slightly and cloned away some speckles throughout the picture.

mom1.jpg

Since it is an older picture I thought it might look nice with an antique sepia look.

mom2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to George_M7

I don't know what it's called. I have seen this on physical pictures that were stored in albums that are not "acid free>archival."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points