Skip navigation
Denisebeau
Currently Being Moderated

Quality of videos once burned to DVD R

Mar 31, 2013 2:57 PM

I have burned several videos onto DVD R using the "widescreen" save and still, the quality of the videos are truly not at the level they use to be when using another software (Nero). 

I wish I could resolve this issue as I have spent lots of time learning my new software - Premiere Elements 11.

Help

Denise

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

What are you editing (exact codec and settings) and what are your share settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

Welcome to the forum.

As the DVD-Video specs. are pretty limited, there is usually not that much difference between a DVD-Video authored in one program vs another. There CAN be some differences, Hollywood Transcoders with 10+ pass encoding is a good example, but with consumer, or low-level pro authoring program, not all THAT much. For consumer programs, an MPEG-2 DVD (the end product, wrapped in a VOB container) is pretty much the same.

You mention both PrE and Nero. It could get down to a quality setting for the Transcoding, between those two programs.

Let's start with your workflow in both PrE and then Nero. There might be something obvious there.

Then, if you would give us the settings (not really that many) in both PrE and Nero. Again, there might be something different there.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

Denise,

That is close, and very useful.

Let's set back a bit, just so that we have all of the details, please.

Are you doing all of your editing in PrE? I realize that you are doing the authoring function in both PrE and Nero.

You are starting with an HD (High Def) Project in PrE, with matching source footage. Is that correct?

For DVD-Video (NTSC), one would need to down-rez that PrE Project to 720 x 480 and probably Widescreen 16:9. What are the exact steps for that down-rezzing?

Is PrE your only NLE (Non Linear Editor) for both authoring operations, PrE and Nero, that you are using?

If so, exactly what are you feeding into Nero? The more detail of that file, the better.

Then, as both Nero and PrE can author a DVD-Video, what were the exact settings chosen in each. Those might be something like Bit-Rate, or the similar equivalent, Quality?

What I am trying to do here, is distill as many possible variables, as I can. When an outcome is different, and the Source Footage is the same, then something is different in the workflows. That is what I am attmpting to find out.

Good luck, and I apologize for all of the questions,

Hunt

PS - Also, if you could list the exact Nero program and version, that you are using, that might be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

OK, you are only using the same footage, the MOV and MTS original Video files, and doing all of the editing in Nero, through the authoring part, going to DVD-Video, there, and then, doing separate editing in PrE, and using it to then do the authoring. Is that correct?

If so, back in PrE, what is your Project Preset for that HD footage?

As for an AVCHD disc, yes, you could create such, BUT it will not be a DVD-Video, which is what I think we are talking about. AVCHD is similar, at least in Frame Size and resolution, to BD (Blu-ray Disc).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

Denise,

I just read three reviews for Nero Video Premium HD, but not one reviewer went into real details on down-rezzing, or even the settings for authoring. Most talked of other things, so I have nothing to offer there.

It could well be that it just does a better job (uses a better down-rezzing algorithm) at the down-rezzing, than PrE does. It could also be that when authoring, it's default settings offer higher quality (higher Bit-Rates, as it is not likely to do more than 2-pass, like PrE), than does PrE? I just could not gather the info needed to make that determination.

Until I can locate some real details, I can only offer that Nero does a better job with the down-rezzing and authoring to DVD-Video, than does PrE.

Maybe others will know Nero Video Premium HD better, and can comment on its capabilities, and then we can compare, in an "apples to apples" situation.

Wish that I had more to offer,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

DVD-Video is only 720 x 480 (NTSC), so if DVD-Video is the final output, then you have no choices, but to down-rez your HD material. The one option is to create a BD (Blue-ray Disc), instead of a DVD-Video, or an AVCHD disc, which should play on many BD players (it depends on the BD player).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

>If I decide to burn on a blue ray, would I need both a blue ray disc and a blue ray burner?

Yes and yes

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to Denisebeau

For the AVCHD, you will most likely want a BD disc, unless the Video is very short (about 20 mins. max.).

For a BD, you will want a BD burner, blank BD media and also a BD player, or BD software player on the computer.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points