Skip navigation
Andrew Mackinnon
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver 5.5 uses 50% CPU and becomes unuseable

Mar 31, 2013 6:22 PM

As the heading says, my installation of Dreamweaver 5.5 has started to use 50% of the CPU time when any file is opened and effectively becomes unusable. I'm running Windows XP with SP3, Core2 CPU and 2GB RAM.  The program is also using quite a lot of memory (120,000K+).  I'm not having any problems with the other CS5.5 programs I use including Photoshop and Illustrator.

I use DW only occasionally and have run it on this computer for over a year without any problems.

I know that problems similar to this have been widely reported, so I have searched for a tried a wide range of fixes from Adobe and other sources, none of which have worked (for long).  These include:

Replicate problem with Dreamweaver templates rather than my own files.

All the steps in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405604.html including

Deleted cache file, WinFileCache-********.dat

Delete/restore preferences folder.

Disabled "Display External Files" in View menu.

Disabled "Enable Related Files" in Preferences.

Followed http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/hang-opening-document-dreamweave r-cs5.html, adding registry entry ResolveRemoteURLToIPAddress FALSE

Remove and reinstall Dreamweaver.

Remove and reinstall all of CS5.5 and apply updates.

Move and test 'site' on another computer running the same version of DW (under Windows 7).

A few of these, notably disabled "Enable Related Files" worked initially but the problem returned when DW was closed and reopened, even though the item remained disabled.

The problem does not appear running in safe mode, which may be diagnostic of something but is not a fix.

The dream is turning into a nightmare.  I'm back to editing html using Notepad++! I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Andrew

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2013 9:25 PM   in reply to Andrew Mackinnon

Disabling 'Enable Related Files' is a known fix from CS5 onwards. And ideally should remain intact even after DW is restarted.

I'll see if I can ask a DW team-member to intervene here to help you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to Andrew Mackinnon

Hi Andrew,

I have asked support to get in touch with you. Do get back if you don't hear from us in the next 24 hours.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to Andrew Mackinnon

Hi Andrew,     http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8  (to see what is possible on your computer!)

Instead of spoiling your time to get it work on a outdated OS it's maybe a better idea to change it to a up to date OS.

Most duo cores are even 64bits! 2 GB ram is not a lot. To upgrade your computer cost peanuts compare to the trouble you

will keep on experiencing with a system like your's.

David

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to Andrew Mackinnon

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for sharing your workaround with us. Meanwhile, just in case, I have logged a bug for this issue.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points