Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Panamoric stitch - Lens distortion problem

Mar 31, 2013 8:10 PM

hello amazing artists there,

am facing problems while 'stitching' the panaromic photos that i shot. basically, Phtoshop's File>Automate>Photomerge and Edit>Auto Align/Blend Layers works good, but FAIL on the LENS DISTORTION.

i had tried to correct it with Filter>Lens Correction, but still not getting perfect result.

Please see the attached image for the results, were you can see the building looks bent. Please check/download the source images from http://www.prashanthvfx.com/130330_adobe_stitch.html.

Any solution?

IMG_0522_auto.png

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 31, 2013 8:15 PM   in reply to prashanthvs

You could try the Adaptive Wide Angle function on the merged pano.  I've been able to do some pretty good things with that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 31, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to prashanthvs

Merge the layers Photomerge puts out, then choose Filter - Adaptive Wide Angle from the menus.

There are videos on how to do it floating around, but basically you draw lines along curved parts you want to be straight, then you can manipulate them.

It will start out de-distorting the image some by itself as I recall.

I've only dabbled with it a few times, but I recall really straightening out a pano of the Snake River Gorge bridge in Twin Falls.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2013 9:31 PM   in reply to prashanthvs

I only had access to cs5 at the moment, so the adaptive wide angle would well be worth a try.

Anyway in cs5 i used File>Automate>Photomerge>Perspective and then a combination of Lens Correction and some old fashion adjustments using free transform. (distort. perspective, etc)

It's still quite rough.

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to prashanthvs

I think that if you follow the concepts in this video, you should be able to get good results using Adaptive Wide Angle.

(Russell Brown explains things far better than i can)

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russell-brown-show/a-detailed-look-at-ad aptive-wide-angle/

Anyway, i started by using the settings below in File>Automate>Photomerge and then when the merge was complete, i did Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E (Shift+Cmd+Option+E on a mac)

to merge the layers into a new layer for the adaptive wide angle. (Layer 1)

pano 1.png

The result:

pano 2.jpg

After using some of the same techniques shown in the video:

pano 3.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers