Skip navigation
stuck-fast
Currently Being Moderated

Corrupt Files in Adobe Bridge Cache

Mar 31, 2013 11:21 PM

Bridge has left me with corrupted files in Bridge Cache which I cannot delete, or scan with Macafee or look at with any other program I have.

When I access the folder containing the corrupt files my PC just hangs.

I have the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Can anyone help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to stuck-fast

Have you tried purging cache from Bridge? Edit > Preferences > Cache > Purge Cache  or Tools > Cache > Purge Cache for Folder ....  (the current folder in Bridge navigation)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to stuck-fast

Bridge is a browser so does not write to files on its own.  What program did you save problem files with?  Look at the file name closely.  Anything after the first dot is considered an extension.  So if you had "blue car.1955.jpeg" it will be looking for the extension 1955 to open file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

...  Anything after the first dot is considered an extension.  So if you had "blue car.1955.jpeg" it will be looking for the extension 1955 to open file.

Are you  sure it works this way?  for example in my Bridge cache I have a folder of thumbnails of raw files.  The file names in the bridge cache folder  <C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Cache\256\[cache folder name]> is <nnnn.cr2.jpg>.  Opening that file from explorer opens it in photoshop as a jpg, not as a cr2.

This begs the question of why the OS has a problem with corrupt files in a Bridge cache folder.  (I'm assuming that the corrupted Bridge cache files the OP refer to are files in the Bridge cache file tree.)  Having failed to eliminate the problem -- delete the offending folder through the OS -- is why I suggested trying to delete the cache via Bridge commands.  A rename of a folder higher in the Bridge cache folder tree might also do the trick.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Robert Shomler

Yes, anything after the first dot is considered an extension, at least in Bridge and Photoshop.  Apparently some programs can read them, but general advice is to use an underscore instead of a dot.  There was a long discussion on this in photoshop forum about 2 weeks ago. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to stuck-fast

The thumbnails are created by Bridge, but with the name you supply.  If you have edited the photos with other products first there may be some conficts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Apparently some programs can read them, but general advice is to use an underscore instead of a dot.

Before Mac OS X (that was based on unix) it would not make any difference how many dot's, commas, spaces, slashes, etc you where using, the file always opened in the correct application.

But used to that I soon came to realize that not all systems work this way and since I have to distribute my files for commercial use I made a habit of using only 1 dot in a filename and that is the one before the extension. No spaces (instead an underscore '_' or divider '-') and no other 'strange' characters like /, \, '', :,' etc. but normal alphabetic and numeric ones.

I also started to use the creation date in my filenames starting with yyyymmdd and some extra info and sequence number for series. Sometimes people have trouble to find or open the jpeg attachments from my Apple Mail send emails to a windows machine but otherwise I have no problems with clients. I like to keep it that way

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points