Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is serial number suddently invalid?

Apr 1, 2013 10:59 AM

Having used PS4 for years and having installed it on several computers, I suddently have an "invalid" serial number.  After hours on "chat" and finally by phone I was told that my serial number had been "invalidated".  I was instructed to go back to the store where I bought the PS4 and work it out with them. The "store" was either Office Depot, Office Max, or Staples, years ago, and 500 miles away. I would have no hope of finding a receipt that old.  Even tax files only need to be kept for 3 years.

I am aware that this has happened to others following an Adobe update.  I was told yesterday that Adobe could not help me unless I found the serial (registration) number.  Now that I found it, I am told that Adobe has no idea when or why the number was invalidated, and since I did not "register" it years ago, that Adobe cannot help me.

I pointed out that not registering back years ago was not a big deal. There was a "register later" button, and most people just ignored registering.  For this, I should not have Adobe later, capriously, invalidate my serial number and try to force me into buying a $400 upgrade I don't want and don't need. (I am a mom who uses PS4 maybe three or four times a year). 

I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole.  Can you please help me.  I just want my PS4 back working so that I can make some edits on my Easter pictures.

Thank you,

Carolyn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to 123...567

Photoshop 4 is ancient, and won't run on modern OS versions.

Are you thinking of Photoshop CS4, or Elements 4, perhaps?

It is possible that someone stole your serial number and published it somewhere - so it would be treated as a pirated serial number.

You'll have to contact Adobe Customer Support to straighten that out.

And yes, you'll probably need proof of purchase or registration (that you don't have) to validate that you own the serial number (since it was probably pirated and used by many people).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to 123...567

This statement probably needs some more clarification:

Having used PS4 for years and having installed it on several computers,

That clarification might also hold some clues, regarding the S/N too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to 123...567

You can install your Photoshop on as many computer as you want. BUT you can activate it only on 2 computers. And you  are not allowed to use more than 1 Photoshop with the same serial at the same time.

You wrote that you have installed Photoshop on several computers in the past. If you have it activated on 2 computers you have to deactivate it at least on 1 computer to activate it on another one.

Another cause of not working serial might be a non legal software as it is offered in several .ru-stores or other "OEM"-offerings. They might supply a working serial (and several viruses trojan horses as additional "bonus pack"). But when these programs (or others from Adobe) are updated they will not work any more.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to 123...567

For Deactivation, in other Activated installations, go to Help>Transfer Activation, and chose Deactivate.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to 123...567

I believe they "invalidate" serial numbers when said numbers are used somehow in a software piracy scheme, whereby lots of people use Photoshop with the same serial numbers.  Their intent is to close off peoples' ability to continue to use the software illegally. 

They are essentially saying you have been using it illegally.

There is a possibility you bought a counterfeit package, or there is a possibility that Adobe made a mistake.  I seriously doubt you'd come here asking like this if you knew it was an illegal copy, but the situation is not unlike having bought a fake Rolex watch.  Once it's discovered to be worthless, it's worthless, and you may be left holding the bag.  Rolex isn't going to replace it.

It seems to me that Adobe refusing to work with you fails to acknowledge that they could have made a mistake.  Of course, they don't want to have to spend customer service money helping a lot of people who never paid them for their software, but it seems to me that they do have to take some responsibility for operating their activation system properly and not leaving a legitimate customer out in the cold.

All that said, I doubt they're going to reverse their decision and give you back use of Photoshop CS4.

Assuming that's the case, you've unfortunately missed the window to get upgrade pricing for Photoshop CS6 by 4 months.

I'm sorry for your situation.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 5:27 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I believe they "invalidate" serial numbers when said numbers are used somehow in a software piracy scheme, whereby lots of people use Photoshop with the same serial numbers.  Their intent is to close off peoples' ability to continue to use the software illegally. 

It's called "Blacklisting" and it happens when the same serial number is being used by a lot of people trying to activate...it is a clear sign that the serial number has been pirated. Once blacklisted, the only way to fight it is proving the purchase was legit from a legit reseller.

If you don't have proof of purchase, or have not registed the purchase, there's is nothing Adobe can or will do about it. It's really a case of buyer beware...if you buy software, it's up to the buyer to confirm the reseller is legit and the software should be registered with Adobe. If you try to register a pirated serial number, you'll find out quickly that the serial number is bogus and if done in a timely manner, might give the buyer time to do something about the bogus purchase.

After all this time with the OP not even knowing when or where they bought it, there is little chance anything can be done and at this stage, I don't really think it's an Adobe problem to deal with.

And actually, these forums do get a number of users who have bought pirated versions–often as OEM (which is bogus) or 2nd hand on Ebay (likely bogus). Not saying' the OP has done this but...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

It is likely that "having installed on a lot of computers" has led someone to copy the version and sell or distribute it.  Without having registered it at the time of purchase you are not in a bad position.

One thing you can do is download the free version of CS2 and use that.  As a legitimate past user of PS I think that is about your best option.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to 123...567

Here is link to CS2.  http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html  Use serial number provided.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to 123...567

It was not a counterfeit package, of that I am sure.

Going back a few years now, at about CS 3, or maybe CS 4, there WERE many counterfeit copies of PS, that made their way into the normal, certified re-seller stream. IIRC, all of those were "Printed in Singapore," but I could be mis-remembering there. Many certified re-sellers were totally blind-sided by those counterfeits, as they looked exactly like the legit copies, but for the "Printed in ___ ," in tiny print.

However, there ARE ways that others could get your S/N, for a totally legit copy of PS, and one, as you mention, would be to go to your shelf, open the box, and copy the S/N from the disc/paperwork. Another would be an inadvertant posting of a S/N (something that the MOD's here normally delete, as soon as it's noticed - though before they do, many might have made note of it) to a forum. There are people in this world, who would never hesitate stealing your S/N, and then giving it to all of their friends. Often, the justification is that PS is expensive, and the friends, plus the thief, are poor, students, struggling, just need a helping hand, etc. We see such all too often here.

First, I would pull out your box, and the discs, and look closely at the "Printed in ___ " small-print. Where does it list?

As has been mentioned above, did you Register (different from Activation) you copy of PS? If so, Adobe should have a record of that, and it should also appear in your Adobe ID information. Check there.

I wish that I had some easy "fix" for you, but that is the domain of Adobe Customer Support. I would call them (Live Chat can be OK for some things, but I think that this is beyond what they can likely do), and ask, citing what has happened to you, so far. If you can find the invoice/receipt from Office Depot, etc., have that, plus your package, handy, when you call.

I wish you the best, and hope that both you, and your supplier, are not victims of counterfeiters.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to 123...567

Do you also wear shining armor?

Yes he does!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 6:02 PM   in reply to 123...567

I do not do downloads, so this is but a guess: I would download all, and also extract the ZIP file in the same folder. It appears that that download site has the installer, then the actual program and maybe some 3rd party content. Others might know exactly what each file is about.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points