Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help with yellow walls!

Apr 1, 2013 5:43 PM

At one time many years ago I had used a program that came with my Nikon camera that allowed adjustments to a small area of a photo. As I recall you could adjust the size of your problem area and then use sliders right in the center of your image's problem area. As a Creative Cloud subscriber, with all the Adobe software available to me, I was thinking I must be able to do a similar sort of thing. The problem is in interior real estate shots where the room is various shades of browns and gold with maybe a window letting in natural light. Your white balance is fine until you have lamps turned on and you find very warm (read yellow) splashes behind the lamps. If the room has hardwood floors and brown or gold walls a global desat of the yellow channel takes out needed information of the entire photo.  I have attached an example. Suggestions would be welcome.

11902-e-living-room-25blend.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to pete424

Do you mean something like this?

Livingroom_01.png

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

For a very quick treatment, I first did a Path for the TV, and the windows. I converted that Working Path to a Selection (I did not Feather, but might add about 3 pixels, were I working on the original PSD, or TIFF). Then, I did a Color Balance Adjustment Layer with that Selection active. I then did a Path of the ceiling (with a higher rez image, I would have added a gradient, and also masked off the fan), and Deleted it at about 50% from the Adjustment Layer Mask, so that it only got about 50% of the treatment.

With that same Layer Mask, I then did a little Levels Adjustment Layer.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to pete424

Leaving PS for a moment, here is how I would have done the shot:

Shoot with strobes, to get closer to the very cool window light.

Add blue bulbs to the lamps, including the fan's lamp, so that the color temp would be closer to the 5K - 5.5K strobes. I like "practicals" to be a bit warmer, and for such a livingroom, a little "warmth" is not a bad thing. It is seen as "homey," and "inviting."

I would have used an artificial log in the fireplace, if it is a working fireplace. If not, and is gas, or electric, things get a touch dicey. I usually had someone from the builder turn UP the gas fireplaces. This often meant removing a restrictor plate, to get a larger flame.

OTOH, I would shoot just fireplaces with real logs, and flames, or the artificial logs, again with real flames, to be dropped into some gas, or electric fireplaces. I would shoot them with glass doors, and some with the screens. Those were my "stock" fireplaces, to be used later.

Along with lighting the room with pretty broad, and diffused strobe lights, I would have hit the sofa with a few 100 WS of additional strobe power.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Or you could do the converse: the old cinematographer's trick of putting a larger orange gel over the outside of the window to balance the light.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to pete424

I adjusted the entire pic, sort of neutralized it somewhat using LAB curves.  This is entirely subjective because noone really knows what the house interior really looks like.

11902-e-living-room-25blendA.jpg

The important thing to remember here is the original shot was taken with the lights on.  In order to retouch the lighting down to what the post requests will take a considerable amount of time.  So, you end up with a compromise.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to pete424

Somewhere between these two?

11902-e-living-room-25blend-copy-1.png

11902-e-living-room-25blend-copy-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:32 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

While I have gelled many windows, if one is looking "through" those, the gelling must be nearly perfect. With snow outside, that will be hard to achieve.

I would choose to balance to that, cool off the practicals a bit, and shoot that way.

Just my personal preferences,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to John Danek

Also, with residential interiors, one must ask the question: "What am I selling?"

If it's for the interior designer, then one would approach it slightly differently, than for the builder, who probably wants to sell "a warm environment to raise a family." Are you selling a "life style," or "the furnishings" inside that room?

Good luck, and I see that Conroy has some other examples to choose from.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to conroy

Based just on my aesthetics, I like # 2 best.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Me too

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to pete424

Have you tried using the various adjustment tools inside Camera Raw or Lightroom such as the Adjustment Brush?

Sounds like maybe you were using Nikon Capture NX.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to pete424

Sometimes just Image - Adjust Hue/Saturation (or the equivalent adjustment layer) might be all you need.  Desaturate yellows tapering off into reds, and maybe increase the lightness a little.

ReducedYellowSat.jpg

Add a bit of Contrast to the above and you're good to go...

HSL_Plus_Contrast.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to pete424

One other option...

If you really only want to affect one part of an image, add an adjustment layer (which by default affects the entire image), add a Layer Mask with the Hide All option, then just paint the parts you want the adjustment layer to affect white (e.g., with a fuzzy brush).

HSL_With_Mask.jpg

-Noel

Edit:  Corrected a wrong word ("plain" -> "paint")

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to pete424

With the various "corrections," you have a lot to work with.

I would experiment with those, to see what looks best to your eye, based on the client's desires, or comments.

As I did years of such work, I tried to balance my personal aesthetics, with what they wanted. As mentioned above, I tried to gear any adjustments to "what we were selling."

As one who has won so many MAME's and MIRM's, that I cannot count, I tend to go for "warm, and comfy," over cool and austere, in most cases - still, it depends on what I was selling. If I was shooting for the laminate mfgr., the carpet mill, the wallpaper importer, the furniture mfgr., etc., things would be different, and I would shoot specifically for that purpose.

Warm practicals, in a "cozy room," is not a bad thing, IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points