Skip navigation
onehunerdpercent
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Drag and Drop from pages bar in Acrobat XI Pro for Mac?

Apr 1, 2013 5:52 PM

Tags: #mac #pages #drag #page #extract #acrobat_xi

MAC OSX 10.7.5

Acrobat XI Pro

In adobe Acrobat XI for Mac, how do I drag pages from the Pages Thumbnail sidebar into finder and make a new PDF?

In windows I can simply select the pages, drag and drop them into Explorer and it creates a completely new PDF with the pages I dragged.  I've tried everything on my Mac and I can't get it to extract this way.

It's extremely slow and frustrating having to manually right click extract, select the pages, open it in a new adobe window, then have to save the file through the menu. 

On windows I just select the page, drag to the folder, click , and rename.

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 11:26 PM   in reply to onehunerdpercent

Strange. I can't test Acrobat 11 at the moment, but Acrobat 9.5.4 on OS 10.6.8 works as you want, unless security settings prevent it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to George Johnson

It doesn't work for me in Acrobat XI on a Mac with OS X 10.8.3. It shows a + sign as I move over the Finder, but it creates nothing. I suspect it's a bug, and you should create a bug report:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to onehunerdpercent

Ya, I am having the exact same problem with Acrobat XI, I can't drag and drop my pages. I use this option all the time and it's easy for people in the office to remember! I hope they fix it soon

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to onehunerdpercent

I found your post when I was having this problem in Acrobat Pro XI on Windows 7. Then I switched from continuous- to single-page display. For some reason, it looks like dragging a page in continuous-page display moves the visible area of the page, but in single-page display, it moves the page. When page display is continuous, my cursor is a hand; when it's single-page, the cursor is an arrow. Also, if you are looking at a page other than the one you want to move (so the viewable area is on a different page in the Page Thumbnails), drag and drop works in either display mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to JoshTatum24

JoshTatum24 wrote:

When page display is continuous, my cursor is a hand; when it's single-page, the cursor is an arrow.

This got me thinking, above the "page thumbnails" pane, there is an icon for an arrow with text and an icon for a hand. Click the hand and then you can drag and drop.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 14, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to onehunerdpercent

I was suddenly having the same problem in Acrobat XI Pro for Windows (recently upgraded to CC from Acrobat X).  For the past while I've sometimes had to use the "insert from file" tool to get a page added from another file.  I couldn't figure out why dragging sometimes would no longer work, but was too busy to go looking for a solution until tonight. 

The solution was given by JoshTatum24 above. Switch from a scrolling page display to single page display.  Now I can drag pages between documents again.  THANK YOU Josh!

Oh, and CORREAdmin,  it does not matter whether the hand or arrow selection tool is active, my mouse pointer is always an arrow when positioned in the page thumbnails panel.  Switching selection tools does not make a difference in dragging, but switching between scrolling and single page display definitely DOES make the difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 1:51 AM   in reply to jim.whati

Switch from a scrolling page display to single page display.

Actually, it changes at the moment you are at a zoom level beyond that of the "Fit Width" level. If the page thumbnail looks like this it means you're beyond that zoom level:

Snap1.png

At that level you can only duplicate the page by clicking down in the gray area of the thumbnail. If you click on the white area (the visible area) then it will hold on to the zoom box and move it around, instead of moving the actual page thumbnail itself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points