Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Doubling canvas width actually tripling width

Apr 1, 2013 11:15 PM

Hello,

I'm having an issue where I'm creating a white border around two landscape oriented images that are the same exact size then doubling the width of the canvas.  I've never had this issue before with PS CS6 and it's driving me insane.. I tried resetting the photography workspace but no luck.  I tried with two portrait oriented images and the same result.  I've restarted my machine.  I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64bit and I'm running PS CS6 64bit as well.  Thought to do a repair through Programs and Features but there is only the option to uninstall.  I haven't done anything out of the ordinary except use an action a few days ago I downloaded and used from http://www.photoshopsos.com/ and I downloaded and used the press print action.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can correct this?  If an image is 20 inches wide and I'm doubling it to 40 it's tripling the width to 60 inches.  Is there a way I can reset every aspect of PS CS6 to get back to a factory state other than unintalling and reinstalling?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 11:28 PM   in reply to photorobot2010

Are you using Image > Canvas Size and have the »Relative«-checkbox checked?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to photorobot2010

photorobot2010 wrote:

I [...] have the relative checkbox checked.

Relative will result in 40 being added to the current value of 20, which makes 60.

Clear the checkbox so the command works in absolute mode where the current value will be changed to 40.

Or leave the box checked and use a relative value of 20 which will be added to current 20 to make 40.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to photorobot2010

If you use relative you can change to percent and set 100% in width and height to double its size or set the correct amount of pixels you want added to the width and height like if you want to add 10 pixel border you would leave the anchor point centered and enter 20 width and height the would add 10 pixel on all four sides.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points