Skip navigation
DenverPhotographics
Currently Being Moderated

.swf video file won't play in browser.  Will play in live view & prev.  What type of video is best?

Apr 1, 2013 10:50 PM

I want to play a video with sound over top of the grunge background.  I mashed them up in Flash and exported as a .swf file.  It plays fine in live view and preview.  When I upload it doesn't work.  I am pretty sure I've uploaded all the files this time.  I appreciate the help.  I am a noob.  I would rather have the grunge background be transparent as well, as this has a white background behind the grunge.  What type of video is best to use on the web?

www.denverphotographics.com

Thank You!

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 1, 2013 11:06 PM   in reply to DenverPhotographics

Do you have a video file that is actually played by your SWF file? Some sort of avi, mp4, flv etc..?? I'm assuming you do because your SWF file is only 70~ KB and there is no other link to a video file from your source code.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 1, 2013 11:08 PM   in reply to DenverPhotographics

The 2nd part of your question - What format is best, I'd suggest you consider HTML5 and not Flash. Flash will not play on smartphones/ tablet devices. There are so many HTML5 video players out there, 2 of them I'd recommend:

http://www.videojs.com

http://www.pickleplayer.com/

You may have to give 2 or 3 files in various formats for cross-browser compatibility. Read here for more details: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 1, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to DenverPhotographics

In Flash, did you 'Embed' video or 'Link' video?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to DenverPhotographics

Hi,

I found a similar thread that could help you SWF file won't play in browser The last thread in the discussion has a solution that could probably help you. I am not sure if this is the perfect solution, but posting it nevertheless.

In case anybody wants to know, I figured out my own problem.

My HTML file was in the root directory.

My swfobject was in a folder in the root directory called "js".

My swf and accompanying files were in a folder in the root directory called "swf".

Apparently, swfobject doesn't like that my swf was in its own folder. It needs it to be in the exact same place as your HTML folder.

In hind sight, I'm sure if I had read the Javascript code in the swfobject.js file I likely would have figured it out, but at 4am, logic doesn't always prevail.

Hope this helps somebody out.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 1, 2013 11:35 PM   in reply to DenverPhotographics

Can you get rid of the .swf file and try to import your FLV file from within DW directly to see if it works? Insert > Media > FLV

How can I either float this video over another image (the distressed background) or make a video with this image in the background?  What would be the best program? Premier? After Effects?

I don't quite understand that. Could you please explain in more detail?

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 1, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to DenverPhotographics

I realized you're on GoDaddy servers. You may want to double-check with GoDaddy support that they allow FLV videos to be played.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 2, 2013 12:06 AM   in reply to DenverPhotographics

Just take that background box container (grunge background) and put it as a background-image for a div. Insert your FLV into that DIV. Something like this:

HTML:

<div id="videocontainer">

Your FLV will come here

</div>

CSS:

#videocontainer{

background-image: url(path/to/your/image.jpg);

width: 500px;

height: 400px;

}

Change background-image path, width and height to match.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points