Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Messed with Startup, now PE7 won't launch.

Apr 2, 2013 1:12 AM

Hi,

I'm on XP, and I was messing about with my startup and services using msconfig, and now I find that my Premiere Elements 7 won't load. It begins to, the splash screen shows up but nothing loads. Within about 6 seconds, it vanishes.

No doubt it's because of some service I've disabled at Startup, but I don't know which one. Tried enabling a few that look likely, but no luck.

Does anybody know what services Premiere Elements 7 needs to launch?

Tough one, I know.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to Kurt_777

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to Kurt_777

One of the nice things about MSCONFIG is that it allows you to uncheck items in Startup and Services, but does not remove the line for that item. They should all be there, but just with their boxes unchecked.

I would start back at MSCONFIG, to see what is unchecked.

Also, MSCONFIG will, by default, pop up at launch, until one chooses to stop that behavior. When I make changes to MSCONFIG, I leave that default, so that it's easy for me to go back and change, or un-change things. When I am sure that my changes work fine, then I will tell MSCONFIG to not show itself again, until I Run it from the Start Menu.

If worse comes to worse, I can give you the list of my Startup and Services on XP-Pro SP-3, but I only have PrE 4 & 11, and not 7, so there could be a few differences.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Kurt_777

You might also do a search at Microsoft to try and find out the meaning of each service

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to Kurt_777

I can do that for PrE 4 & PrE 11, but there could be some differences with PrE 7. Also, as I have programs, that you likely do not, my MSCONFIG will have differences.

Here are my Services:

MSCONFIG_Services_01.png

MSCONFIG_Services_02.png

MSCONFIG_Services_03.png

MSCONFIG_Services_04.png

MSCONFIG_Services_05.png

MSCONFIG_Services_06.png

MSCONFIG_Services_07.png

MSCONFIG_Services_08.jpg

MSCONFIG_Services_09.jpg

MSCONFIG_Services_11.jpg

[To be continued]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

MSCONFIG_Servies_10.jpg

Unfortunately, in XP the MSCONFIG panel cannot be extended, so one only sees a portion of the Services, at any one time.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is my Startup processes:

Startup_01.jpg

Startup_02.jpg

Startup_03.jpg

Startup_04.jpg

Hope those help and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to Kurt_777

Yes, some of those services/processes can be tough to track down. Also, what works on one machine, might not on another.

Normally, I turn OFF Bonjour Services and iTunes Helper (they are both OFF on this laptop), but I found out that when I turned OFF Bonjour Services on my workstation, my Extensis Suitcase Font Manager would not load! I had to turn that back ON, for the workstation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Kurt_777

Kurt,

The great news is that you have things working well now.

Be sure to do a System Restore Point for now, in case you need to go back.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Kurt_777

While things are working correctly, you might also want to make a full disk image of your boot/program drive, to be able to do a quick restore

This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to Kurt_777

As I am about to migrate much of my life from one laptop to a new one, it will be MY Job #1 too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points