Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How am I meant to correct my Framemaker files to solve this Acrobat Distiller error?

Apr 2, 2013 6:48 AM

Tags: #acrobat #distiller

When I attempt to generate a PDF from Framemaker 9 using Distiller 8.1 I get the following error:

"

%%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: imageDistiller; ErrorInfo: DCTDecodeFilter Second SOI or SOFn JPEG marker is disallowed ]%%

Stack:

-dict-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%"

No PDF is created. I've tried 'save as' and 'print'. I have created a PDF from this document several times before with no issues. I haven't replaced any of the screenshots in this version. Where can I find the graphic that is causing the problem? How can I solve this?

Thanks,

Niall.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to drimnafinagle

Brute force ...

First verify that it is an import problem. Turn off graphics and render.

If no error, turn graphics back on, and print just the first half of the document, then the last half. On error, then print half of that half. Do this binary search reduction until the bad pixel is isolated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to drimnafinagle

1. To turn "off" the graphics, simply use the esc v v shortcut (this is a toggle on/off) at the book level (no need to remove anything).

2. Render in Error's context means, then run it again with no graphics visible (but it's obvious from the Distiller error messages that the problem is in a JPEG that can't be properly interpreted).

3. To isolate the page containing the errant graphic, a binary search apporach means do one half at a time, i.e. the first half of the book abd then the second half, to see where the error occurs. Then split the offending half section into two-halves again and re-create the PDF until you've narrowed down to the page with the error-prone file.

However, you indicate that you're able to create the PDFs properly when printing wthout Generate Acrobat Data enabled. What is you default printer instance and which joboptions are specified?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to drimnafinagle

How (which application & options) were the jpeg's created? Are you using any new applications (or a new camera if these are photos)? Can you still create a PDF without errors using jpeg's from an older document where this wasn't an issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to Arnis Gubins

Coincidentally, Nikon just released some firmware updates for some of

its cameras. One of the fixes listed for the D800 states: "In some rare

cases, images recorded in JPEG format could not be opened by some

software applications.   This issue has been resolved."

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to drimnafinagle

If you look at the Distiller log file for the failed runs, it should be listing the physical page that the problem occurs on. Is this always the same location or does it change?

If you are creating the graphics in Photoshop and they are not photo images, then you really shouldn't be using the JPG format to save them (this creates artificats and is a lossy compression scheme). Try PNG or TIF (especially if you need CMYK for print production).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points