Skip navigation
Daren F
Currently Being Moderated

Creating a PDF with secured redacted information

Apr 2, 2013 8:18 AM

Tags: #pdf #security #layer #redact #annotate

Hello.

I am curious to know if there are any options within a PDF to "unlock" redacted information through the use security within the PDF.   I am interested in creating a document with private information and would like certain individuals to see information redacted within the document.  But, I would like to also have the option to turn off those redacted annotations so that the private information can be seen by those with the proper security rights/password to do so.

This would eliminate the need to create a separate document with redacted information and one with everything in it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Daren F

If the data isn't removed from the document, then it's not redaction – it's just hiding.

So to change the question…

Can you HIDE data/content in a PDF and only show it if someone enters the correct password?  Yes.

Leonard

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to Daren F

And would it be secure enough? Probably not, and certainly not enough for things with legal or contractual requirements like SSN (in US), credit card number, any identifiable personal data (in EU).  But if you go ahead with this be very careful not to use the word redacted, as that implies it is really gone...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points