Skip navigation
Richard Fisher 08
Currently Being Moderated

Error message in Quicktime

Apr 2, 2013 10:46 AM

After saving a movie to the computer I can play it with media player without a problem, but if I try to open it in Quicktime I get an error

message 2048 couldn't open file because it is not a file that Quicktime understands. I have PE 11 on  a Dell, Windows 7, Windows

quicktime 32 bit.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Richard Fisher 08

Which Publish & Share option did you choose to output your movie?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 5:39 AM   in reply to Richard Fisher 08

It's possible Quicktime Player may not be able to play it.

What do you plan to do with this file? There may be a better format for you to output.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Richard Fisher 08

Richard,

One thing to remember is that MPEG is but a wrapper, and can contain a lot of different CODEC's, just like AVI (fewer variables than AVI, but still a lot of them). It could well be that yours uses a CODEC, that is not installed on the system, or is one that QT Player just cannot use.

Usually, when QT Player encounters a wrapper, that it can play, but when the CODEC is just not installed, it will offer to take you to a page on Apple's Web site, where there are several CODEC's, and player enhancements - some free, but some for sale. OTOH, if it's a CODEC, that QT Player cannot play, it usually just yields a message to that effect. It will not usually throw an error message, such as you got.

Now, it appears that you used the MPEG-2 DVD wrapper & CODEC. Is that correct? That is about as "plain vanilla," as an MPEG-2 gets, and it would surprise me, that QT Player could not handle that. However, there are a couple of variables, that might cause an issue. By the DVD-specs., the Bit-Rate (total for both the Audio and Video Streams combined), cannot be over 10 MB/s. As the Audio Bit-Rate is not factored into many encoder's settings (it's really pretty small), most will choose about 8 MB/s, for the max. Bit-Rate for the Video, allowing some headroom for the Audio. Some DVD hardware players will choke if the Bit-Rate is much above 7.5 MB/s for the Video, though they are spec'ed. to handle that 10 MB/s total Bit-Rate.

As a test, I would choose MOV, with the Animation CODEC. This will be very, very close to Uncompressed, and WILL create a large file. However, that should be about as easy for QT Player to handle, as it gets. Remember, this is but a test. If QT Player pops up an error message with that file, then it is something with your installation of QT Player, or something on your computer, that is interferring with QT Player. Please report on that test. If your Timeline's Duration is long, maybe limit this test to just part of it, with the WAB (Work Area Bar), so it does not take too long to Export/Share that file for testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to Richard Fisher 08

Publish+Share>Computer>QuickTime>Advanced>Codec>Animation

MOV_Animation.png

Good luck, and if you do not see QuickTime, look at the little scroll bar to the right of the Publish+Share Panel.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to Richard Fisher 08

You are most welcome.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - for some Export/Share/Publish settings, one DOES have to dig pretty deeply.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 12:37 AM   in reply to Richard Fisher 08

I think your problem is related to the fact that, in the Apple environment, you need to buy the MPEG2 playback component used by Quicktime.

This is because the MPEG2 codec is not free, and Apple has not installed this version on his standard systems or softwares (iMovie, OS/X,QT).

If you use Premiere Elements (it is my case on a Mac and a PC), this codec is included in the software. So you can edit on Mpeg format, and read the result with VLC

for example, but Quick time does not read the result.

Apple uses it's proper tools (Apple intermediate codec or others) to be able to edit formats like HDV, in the Mac environment.

Solutions if you want to use QT :

- buy this Quick time playback component (20 USD on apple store) if you want to use QT reading

- or, in PC/windows system, install free software : Quick time alternative, which is able to read MPEG2.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to JMJarrige

Thank you for that info.

As I have had QT Pro on all of my computers for so long, and through so many versions, with about every add-on, it is tough to remember what was added, all those years ago. Same thing happens when one has a question, that's specific to the non-Pro version of QT Player - I have not had that in so long, that I don't remember what was included/excluded with that installation, and don't even have a free computer to install that version to test.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bonjour Bill

You are right : I think the Pro versions of QT include the MPEG2 codec. As you have to pay for these versions,

it seems normal.

Best regards.

JM

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to JMJarrige

JM,

It could also be that I just purchased that add-on, but back so long ago, that I just do not recall it. At my age, remembering what I had for dinner last night is a tough thing to do...

Thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points