Skip navigation
pparkman@aol.com
Currently Being Moderated

What to do about disconnected files?

Apr 2, 2013 11:28 AM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_9

I have used Photoshop Elements 9.  A few months ago, many of my pictures became disconnected (11,2261 of them).  Around that time we had severe thunderstorms -- I wonder if I lost the pictures as a result?

Their thumbnails still appear in my organizer but with a yellow question mark in the upper left hand corner. 

I have always preserved the photo files on back up disks as I went along.

I recently bought PSE 11;  the program instructions say that I should convert my catalog from PSE 9 .  

I am unsure  how to proceed --what I should do to preserve the information about these pictures?

What is the best way to proceed without messing up the new program? ###

Message was edited by: pparkman@aol.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to pparkman@aol.com

There's no point converting the catalog if the files are disconnected.

Assuming the photos are still on the hard disk where you put them, then  you need to reconnect the photos. Normally, File->Reconnect is the way to go, but another possibility is that the disk has accidentally changed letters (believe it or not, this is a common problem on Windows computers). So, if at one time the photos were on D: and now they are on E:, there are easy ways to reconnect.

So ... are the photos still on the hard disk? Does the hard disk still have the same drive letter?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to dj_paige

Paige,

Just a note about the conversion to PSE11 :

dj_paige wrote:

There's no point converting the catalog if the files are disconnected.

It may seem surprising, but my tests show that if you  convert an older format catalog to PSE11, the conversion works without any problem or message. Of course the pictures are still shown as missing in the new catalog... but the improved reconnection feature in PSE11 makes that reconnection easier, much like in Lightroom. I just tested it once more on a PSE6 catalog with a renamed folder branch : reconnection was lighting fast.

Otherwise, I totally agree with your post.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

I didn't know that, Michel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

Can anyone explain how to constrain PSE10/11 from searching directories/folders (Windows) other than the watched folders?  On the rare occasions [crosses fingers] I have to reconnect a lost file (usually because I moved it using Windows Explorer) the search function searches the entire HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to 2late4a_name

You can use the Browse button to specify the exact folder you want to check, but other than that, it will search the entire system of hard drives, no way to restrict it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 12:37 AM   in reply to Brett N

It's important to understand that you get missing files when you move, rename or delete pictures outside of the organizer. You can't reconnect deleted pictures, for renamed ones, you would have to reconnect each file individually... So the reconnect feature is mainly useful for moved pictures, particularly when a whole folder has been moved, either voluntarily or by accident. An extreme case is when you have restored a  full backup made on an external software on a new drive or master folder (changing OS for instance).

If you have to restore a number of files by searching in a your computer with tens of thousands of pictures in thousands of folders, your first task should be to able to specify the 'exact folder you want to check', otherwise the automatic global search may take many days...

So the advice is to look in the organizer at the location where the catalogs expect the files to be, and to search via the explorer/finder where the real pictures are in the computer. Then you can tell the reconnect dialog where to begin the search. In that case, the reconnection is very quick.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Please refer to blog: http://psekb.blogspot.in/2013/03/how-do-i-reconnect-missing-files-in.h tml

Hope it resolves the issue.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:13 AM   in reply to Andromeda14

Andromeda14 wrote:

Please refer to blog: http://psekb.blogspot.in/2013/03/how-do-i-reconnect-missing-files-in.h tml

Hope it resolves the issue.

~Andromeda

I recommend that blog : worth a bookmark, you never know...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

MichelBParis wrote:

It's important to understand that you get missing files when you move, rename or delete pictures outside of the organizer. You can't reconnect deleted pictures, for renamed ones, you would have to reconnect each file individually...

Sorry, I was wrong with the reconnection of renamed pictures. The reconnect feature is indeed able to reconnect many renamed pictures in one phase if you are able to point the search to the real folder where they are stored (tested in PSE11). As you get no feedback message in the process, you might think nothing has been reconnected, but you can check that the files are really reconnected by issuing a new search for missing files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points