Skip navigation
Paul51639
Currently Being Moderated

Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

Apr 2, 2013 12:22 PM

I have been using PremEl for some years though new to version 11. I have recently started using the Canon HFG20 and the hi def video is awesome but I have to downrez to standard DVD output often. I have used the in camera utility and the supplied software to reduce my AVCHD video to SD (MPG) but the result is not as good as video I shoot with an old SD camcorder. Specifically there is kind of a slight double image around objects which makes me think the issue has to do with the interlacing (camera's standard output per manual is 60 fields per sec which I presume is 30 frames) in any case I've tried flicker removal, rev field dominance, etc without resolving the issue. I also get the same result if I simply edit in hi def and then burn to standard DVD, Can anyone suggest the best shooting mode, conversion utility, or work flow, to use this equipment when SD video is going to be the final output? I do prefer to start with Hi def  video as some things will be rendered in both formats. Thanks for any input!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to Paul51639

Don't convert your video before you bring it into Premiere Elements. You'll only make it harder to work with. Premiere Elements 11 is optimized to work with AVCHD video.

Shoot your video in Full AVCHD (FXP or MXP mode), then use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip and Camera tool to get the video from the camcorder to your computer.

Once you're finished editing it, you can use Publish & Share/Disc to output your finished project. You should get excellent results!

I have a similar camcorder and my results are terrific!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Paul51639

Have you played the DVD on your TV?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to Paul51639

I don't know what's going on, Paul. Sorry. My results are excellent from a very similar camcorder.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to Paul51639

I go from Canon Vixia HFS100 AVCHD to Widescreen DVD with EXCELLENT results with CS5 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to Paul51639

Paul,

I have found that with interlacing if you  don't choose the right scan field UFF (upper field first) LFF(lower field first) when you

do your settting it will cause image doubling especially with any motion or panning. Setting have to match your cammera.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to Paul51639

Paul1639

Back in your post #3 in this thread you mentioned your thoughts about trying the progressive mode of your camera, assumed 1920 x 1080 30p. Have you?

For the record, what do your results look like for your Premiere Elements 11 burn to disc DVD widescreen:

a. When your source media is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

(Project Preset = NTSC DSLR DSLR 1080p 30)

and

b. When your source media is 720 x 480 widescreen @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

(Project Preset = NTSC DV Widescreen)

For Premiere Elements 11, you must do the project preset setting via File Menu/New/Project. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT 1080i30. And, remember to put a check mark next to "Force selected Project setting on this project" in the new project dialog before hitting OK.

as compared to what you have been getting using

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second (aka 60i) presumed with the project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30?

Also, for each of the different formats that you have used, what does a program like MediaInfo show for Scan Type, Scan Order for your interlaced 1080i - Interlaced and Top Field First or other. If the source is 720 x 480 widescreen, is the MediaInfo readout then Scan Type Interlaced and Scan Order Bottom Field First or other? For the 1080p30, is the MediaInfo Scan Type shown as Progressive?

Please confirm the file extension and video compression for each of the types? When you inspect the Properties readings inside Premiere Elements, do these readings agree with the pre-import Properties?

Thanks for the additional information if you have time. DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is characterized by Scan Type: Interlaced, Scan Order: Bottom Field First whereas the HD video is typically characterized by Scan Type: Progressive or Scan Type: Interlaced, Upper Field First. So we need to sort out the details and their relationship to the program tools, such as special project preset and field options among other things.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points