Skip navigation
Justina165
Currently Being Moderated

Please help: Exporting panels batch process

Apr 2, 2013 1:02 PM

Tags: #cs5 #batch_actions #batch_processing

Hi everyone!

I work at an animation studio where our artists work directly in Photoshop CS5 to draw storyboards (3 panels across). We are having major difficulties figuring out how to successfully convert our action (which exports the three panels as tiff images) into a batch process,

which would be incredibly helpful and save a lot of time.

The action basically just selects each channel of the main storyboard (three channels for the three panel areas), copies/pastes the image into a new canvas, saves that new image as a tiff to the desktop. It does that for all three panels and yields three tiff images on my desktop, which I then have to drag and drop into a folder before running the action on the next page or else it will replace the previous round of images (saving over them).

Using Automate > Batch doesn't work and I am wondering if it is even possible to run a batch or if the action is simply too complex because it creates three new image files. Does any one have any ideas of things I could try? Really appreciate any advice!

Thank you so much,

Justina

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,975 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 2, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to Justina165

I would think that Batch should work if you craft the action well and it can save the files into a folder other then your desktop. You need to select the source and output folders and check override save as steps.  The output files should be the document name with a serial number suffix.  I think the problem your having is you creating new documents and pasting into them.  Instead try recording your action this way.  Select the first starboard image do an image crop then save as tiff to your desktop. Do not change the document name. Once save use the history palette to revert back in time to just before yor select starboard image 1.  Then Select starboard image two, crop and do the same save as tiff to your desktop.  Reply yes to replace the file on your desk top. Then use the history palette to revert back to before you select starboard image two now  select image three, crop and do the same save as end the action with close no save.

3tiff.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,975 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 8, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to Justina165

Yes you use the alpha to crop load Alpha channel panel 1as a selection then do menu Image>crop Save Panel 1 don't change the image name, Then use history to go back before the crop load alpha channel panel2 etc,  Record the action I described above,

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points