• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank Admin page after applying Hotfix patch 4 to Coldfusion unix 9.01

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished applying the hotifx 4 for my 9.01 coldfusion 32bit server on a Unbuntu box and after restarting CF and Apache I noticed the Admin page comes up blank, otherwise CF is working perfectly.

I checked the logged and saw this

coldfusion9/logs# tail -f cfserver.log

04/02 21:24:15 user CFCServlet: init

04/02 21:24:33 user FlashGateway: init

04/02 21:24:34 user MessageBrokerServlet: init

04/02 21:24:41 user CFFormGateway: init

04/02 21:24:41 user CFInternalServlet: init

04/02 21:24:41 user WSRPProducer: init

04/02 21:24:44 user ServerCFCServlet: init

Server coldfusion ready (startup time: 41 seconds)

04/02 21:25:54 Error [jrpp-1] - Element ESAPIUTILS is undefined in a Java object of type class [Ljava.lang.String;. The specific  /var/www/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm, line: 55

04/02 21:25:55 [jrpp-1] INFO  Using "/tmp/vfs_cache" as temporary files store.

Error [jrpp-2] - Element ESAPIUTILS is undefined in a Java object of type class [Ljava.lang.String;. The specific sequence of files included or processed is: /var/www/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm, line: 55

Any idea how to overcome this and bring back the admin page?

I did notice the blank admin page if you view the source you can see code so its there its just not rendering for some reason.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep referring to the “Admin page” as “back”. Do you mean “blank”? Since you mention the last point about seeing the underlying HTML in the source, I’ll assume “blank” is what you mean.

But separate from that, and with respect to the error that you see, I would propose that what has happened is that you have misapplied the hotfix. It’s VERY easy to do (any of a few ways). Rather than elaborate here, I’ll point you to a blog entry I did a couple years ago which discusses what can happen and how to be careful:

“CF911: Are you finding CF (or CF Admin) busted after applying a hotfix? Three possible reasons”

http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2011/10/21/why_chfs_may_break

Let us know if that helps.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, and yes I meant blank I edited my post after i noticed that

Actually in doing reaserch for this issue your website actually came up but I wasent clear on how to go about fixing this. Initially I felt I was pretty sure I applied the correct version of the hotfixes but according to this that is the only answer to why i'm seeing a blank admin page. I still was not clear on what the solution is tho. Would it be best if I just reinstall CF totally and just start from scractch again? if doing so would I lose any work I had done or?

Thanks agian for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deicded to check out the apache2 error log and it came up wiht this

[Tue Apr 02 13:56:20 2013] [notice] jrApache[21593: 38360]  Couldn't initialize from remote server, JRun server(s) probably down.

So following your link to your post you say something about checking out the mapping, I think this might be the case as it looks like its looking for were the CFIDE is located

[Tue Apr 02 17:01:34 2013] [notice] jrApache[8597: 28871]  JRun will not accept request.  Check JRun web server configuration and JRun mappings on JRun server.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that would be an odd set of messages to get ONLY when viewing the CF Admin (and not other pages).

Are you sure this may not be a situation where perhaps you have a site or Apache virtual server configured for serving the admin, separately from one configured for your other CFML apps? If so, I’d focus first on whether there’s any difference in the configuration of those, with respect to how they connect to CF. See the CF docs (especially the installation and admin/config guide) for info on how a properly configured Apache setup should look. See:

“Configuring web servers in Unix”

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Installing/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cdec18a15-7ff0.html

(Or for those on Windows, see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Installing/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cdec18a15-7ffb.html )

See especially the section, “Verify your Apache configuration”. More important, see another page from the Admin/config manual:

“Sample configuration files“

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Admin/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbf363a5d-7ffb.html

That also shows the conf file settings needed for the CFIDE as well, in case there is something amiss with yours (which may explain your errors, though I’d think instead it might be that you got a 404 if it was wrong). Also, it’s odd that you say you get a blank page, but in viewing the source you do see HTML, and yet you see the error in these logs. Are you positive those are showing up commensurately with the request for the CF Admin?

Hope that helps.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, do think if you just re-apply the fixes very carefully, that should do it. You may have put things in the wrong place last time, but if you put them in the right place this time, that could resolve things (without needing to worry about what you did before, if that’s not easily discerned.)

And if you’re feeling not confident to try, or you try it and it still fails, then if you’d like help, there are folks who can assist. I list them (myself included) as one of the 100+ categories of tools and resources at my cf411.com site, specifically in this case: cf411.com/cfconsult.

But if you try it and don’t feel that help is worth the time, or don’t want to even take the time to try to re-apply the fixes, then sure, you could just reinstall CF. Just beware: if you uninstall CF, you can’t just reinstall 9.0.1. It’s an updater to 9.0. You’d need to have the installers for both.

And do be VERY CAREFUL that if you go to the Adobe site to “get them”, note that while you can get 9.0.1, you can no longer get 9.0. Adobe had to remove that (due to licensing issues with Verity, which was removed in CF10, and they were forced to remove any installers of 9 that added it. 9.0 does, 9.0.1 as an updater did not.) So what you’d get from the Adobe site today as a “full installer” for “9” would not be 9.0 but rather 9.0.2. And you would then NOT want to run the 9.0.1 installer on top of that (which would mess things up, as it would downgrade some things from 9.0.2 to 9.0.1).

It can be confusing. I have blogged on this stuff, but I realize not everyone sees it, or has the time to read. Again, if you would like directed assistance, I can help. My rates, approach, satisfaction guarantee, and more are listed on the consulting page of my site, carehart.org. But as you can see, I do try also to help people as much as feasibly possible for free here on the forums (and mailing lists, and my blog, twitter, etc.). I just know that sometimes, there’s no substitute for “looking over someone’s shoulder” to help them resolve some knotty problems.

Hope that helps.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

I would like to add, that Adobe still have ColdFusion 9 downloads available at http://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads_updates.html#cf9

Charlie Arehart wrote:

And do be VERY CAREFUL that if you go to the Adobe site to “get them”, note that while you can get 9.0.1, you can no longer get 9.0. Adobe had to remove that (due to licensing issues with Verity, which was removed in CF10, and they were forced to remove any installers of 9 that added it. 9.0 does, 9.0.1 as an updater did not.) So what you’d get from the Adobe site today as a “full installer” for “9” would not be 9.0 but rather 9.0.2. And you would then NOT want to run the 9.0.1 installer on top of that (which would mess things up, as it would downgrade some things from 9.0.2 to 9.0.1).

/charlie

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and information. I"m going to go over the steps and see if that fixes the issue without having to reinstall.

Also after the 9.0 patches were applied CF was updated to 9.01 and those patches were applied. I dont know if that information makes a differnce on what happened but there it is.

At first when the patches were installed and the CF serfver restarted if you went to the admin page it got some type of error saying "too many occurences" or something to that effect.

Then later it would just show a blank page.

Here is the copy of the code of that blank page

<html>

<head>

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://mss-cf.tklapp.com:80/CFIDE/administrator/favicon.ico">

<title>ColdFusion Administrator Login</title>

<style>

body, p, td {

font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

font-size: small;

}

th {

font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

font-size: small; ! important;

}

th {

text-align:left;

}

.adminbody {

background-color: #c4c4c4;

}

.resourcelist {

list-style-type:square;

margin-top:5px;

margin-bottom:10px;

}

.errorText {

color: #CC0000;

}

.successText {

color: #008800;

}

.loginWhiteText {

color: #FFFFFF;

font-weight: bold;

}

.loginInvalidText {

color: #CC0000;

font-weight: bold;

}

.loginCopyrightText {

color: #000000;

font-size: 9px;

font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

}

a {

color: # <!-- " ---></TD></TD></TD></TH></TH></TH></TR></TR></TR></TABLE></TABLE></TABLE></A></ABBREV></ACRONYM></ADDRESS></APPLET></AU></B></BANNER></BIG></BLINK></BLOCKQUOTE></BQ></CAPTION></CENTER></CITE></CODE></COMMENT></DEL></DFN></DIR></DIV></DL></EM></FIG></FN></FONT></FORM></FRAME></FRAMESET></H1></H2></H3></H4></H5></H6></HEAD></I></INS></KBD></LISTING></MAP></MARQUEE></MENU></MULTICOL></NOBR></NOFRAMES></NOSCRIPT></NOTE></OL></P></PARAM></PERSON></PLAINTEXT></PRE></Q></S></SAMP></SCRIPT></SELECT></SMALL></STRIKE></STRONG></SUB></SUP></TABLE></TD></TEXTAREA></TH></TITLE></TR></TT></U></UL></VAR></WBR></XMP>

<font face="arial"></font>

<html>

<head>

<title>Error Occurred While Processing Request</title>

<script language="JavaScript">

function showHide(targetName) {

if( document.getElementById ) { // NS6+

target = document.getElementById(targetName);

} else if( document.all ) { // IE4+

target = document.all[targetName];

}

if( target ) {

if( target.style.display == "none" ) {

target.style.display = "inline";

} else {

target.style.display = "none";

}

}

}

</script>

</head>

<body>

<font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 16pt/18pt verdana">

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.<br>

Please contact the website administrator.

</font>

<br><br>

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" bordercolor="#000808" bgcolor="#e7e7e7">

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#000066">

<font style="COLOR: white; FONT: 11pt/13pt verdana" color="white">

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.

</font>

</td>

<tr>

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#4646EE">

<font style="COLOR: white; FONT: 11pt/13pt verdana" color="white">

Error Occurred While Processing Request

</font>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">

<table width="500" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">

<tr>

<td id="tableProps2" align="left" valign="middle" width="500">

<h1 id="textSection1" style="COLOR: black; FONT: 13pt/15pt verdana">

Element ESAPIUTILS is undefined in a Java object of type class &#x5b;Ljava.lang.String&#x3b;.

</h1>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td id="tablePropsWidth" width="400" colspan="2">

</font>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height> </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="2">

Resources:

<ul>

<li>Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater detail about the source of errors.  In the Administrator, click Debugging & Logging > Debug Output Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information option.</li>

<li>Check the <a href='http://www.adobe.com/go/prod_doc' target="new">ColdFusion documentation</a> to verify that you are using the correct syntax.</li>

<li>Search the <a href='http://www.adobe.com/go/prod_support/' target="new">Knowledge Base</a> to find a solution to your problem.</li>

</ul>

<p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="2">

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">Browser  </td>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.43 Safari/537.31</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">Remote Address  </td>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">24.12.253.75</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">Referrer  </td>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana"></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">Date/Time  </td>

<td><font style="COLOR: black; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">04-Apr-13 02:07 AM</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</font>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</body></html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raulben, the crux of that page you are showing is “Element ESAPIUTILS is undefined in a Java object of type class”. That suggests to me that you still have some mismatch between the files updated via the hotfix.

Let me ask you a more specific question (as you may have missed its implication from my last emails): Did you by any chance go to the Adobe site in some recent weeks/months and “download ColdFusion 9”, then installed that, and then “downloaded ColdFusion 9.0.1” and then installed that? If so, that’s your problem.

Again, though it’s rather easy to miss, if you download CF9 today from the Adobe site (indeed, on the link Anit shared in his previous note in this thread), do note that you are not getting 9.0. You are getting 9.0.2. And the link he offered does say that, at least at the top of the section. It does NOT repeat that on each download link.

I have seem more than a few people get that, and then think “I guess I next need to download and install the 9.0.1 updater”, because that is in fact what one has had to do for the past couple of years since 9.0.1 came out. You had to get 9.0, install that, and then get 9.0.1, and install that.

But that has changed since May 2012, when CF10 came out and (as I explained in my last note) Adobe needed to remove the 9.0 installer (because it had Verity in it) and replaced it with 9.0.2. The difference is that 9.0.2 is a FULL INSTALLER. It does not update 9.0, it does not update 9.0.1. One would need to remove those, if installed. The purpose of 9.0.2 is to be “the full installer of CF9” which one would obtain if they “downloaded CF9” today.

But because of old habits, old information, lack of details, etc. many are not noticing that 9.0.1 is NOT to be added to that. If you do, things will break, and likely with the very error you are seeing.

Here’s a simple thing for you to check, to see if this is an issue. First, can you get to any page of the CF Admin? If so, click the “I” icon in the top right corner of the Admin page, to view the “system information” page. That will show you what version of CF you have installed. Is it 9.0.2? If you cannot get into the CF Admin at all, then run a simple CFML page to do a CFDUMP var=”#server#”. That will display among its various keys the CF version. Again, check if it’s 9.0.2.

If you ARE running 9.0.2, then your adding 9.0.1 was a mistake. Start over with uninstalling, then reinstalling 9.0.2, and then delete your 9.0.1 updater. You don’t need it anymore.

If you are running 9.0.1, then I’ll just say again that you have made a mistake in how you applied the hotfixes or updates. It’s very easy to do. Again, my blog entry (mentioned earlier in this thread) outlines the many ways that one can easily make a mistake. If you are still getting this error, despite “doing it all over again from scratch”, then there’s no conclusion other than that you are still making some mistake. Among the most common ones are that a) people often have more than one CFIDE folder on their machine, and they update one and not the other, but something is still pointing to the old unupdated one (whether your web server, with a real or virtual directory, or CF in its Admin setting pointing to the CFIDE mapping, for instance), or b) when they do the zip extraction (for the hotfixes) their unzip tool may put the extracted files in a subdirectory UNDER the place they meant to be extracting it. I see this all the time.

Finally, if you still struggle, I can only say that you really need to hire someone to help solve this. It may take less than an hour—and less than the time that it’s taken you and me to have this back and forth.

Still, I offer this info here not only for you but also for anyone else who may come upon the thread, since it is indeed a common problem (and thanks to Adobe for fixing all this in CF10 with its new automated hotfix mechanism. Though it too has its warts, at least these problems are done away with.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anit, do you work for Adobe? I thought so, but then I’m just a little confused, because I can’t tell if you’re saying that something I said was incorrect.

I DO realize that CF9 is available for download. I didn’t say it wasn’t. I said, very specifically, that one could get 9.0.1 (the updater, if one has 9.0 installed or has the 9.0 installer), or (if one does NOT have a 9.0 installer) one would have to get 9.0.2, and that’s all they can get on the Adobe site (the 9.0.1 updater, or 9.0.2 as a full installer. There is no longer a 9.0 full installer available.)

Would you be agreeing or disagreeing with that?

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chalie,

I agree with the information, provided by you. I just found it a bit confussing. So added the information that, 9.0 is a complete installer with an update avaliable (9.0.1) and 9.0.2 is a complete installer without any further update.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Actually we had 9.0 installed for over a year now and so this was not a recent install. Here are the steps i took when this happened

1. 9.0 was already installed so I downloaded the patches from this link  http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-security-hotfix-apsb13-03.html

2. I download and installed following the instructions the patches for  coldfusion 9.0

3. I then went to this link and downloaded the updater to 9.01 http://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads_updates.html  the Coldfusion 9 Update 1 (9.0.1) installer.

Also to answer your question no, I can not get to any part of the Coldfusion admin page.

Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 1.13.03 PM.png

This is a screenshot of the Coldfusion version thats running now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to walk through my steps again and redo the patches just to make sure I did not miss anything BUT I noticed in the first 4 steps of the patch it asks to go to the CF admin page and hit the "i" icon. Well I cant do that since the Admin page is not accessable, so how do I over come that? this is the step i'm refering too

ColdFusion 9.0.1

1. Download CF901.zip and CFIDE-901.zip. Extract both zip files.
  2. In ColdFusion Administrator, select System Information page by clicking the icon "i" in the upper-right corner.
  3. In the "Update File" text box, browse and select hf901-00008.jar located under CF901/lib/updates.
  4. Click Submit Changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You may have to Uninstall the Cumulative hot fix 4, before you reapply the hotfix.

Here are the steps:-

1. Stop the ColdFusion instance.
  2. Delete the chf9010004.jar file at {ColdFusion-Home}/lib/updates. Revert to the backed up jar files mentioned in the Step 6 of the installation instructions above.
  3. Revert to the backed up CFIDE, WEB-INF and lib directory files, mentioned in the Steps 7, 9, and 11 at http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/cumulative-hotfix-4-coldfusion-901.html

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2013 Apr 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Raulben, those specific steps can be replaced with simply dropping the jar into the updates directory inside CF. For a Server/Standard install, it’s \lib\updates. For a multiserver install, it’s in \servers\[instance]\[cfusionear]\[cfusionwar]\WEB-INF\cfusion\lib\updates,

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation