Skip navigation
Steve_Knepp
Currently Being Moderated

PP 6.0 Says my scratch disks are write protected - THEY ARE NOT!

Apr 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #disk #scratch #6 #protected #write

OK, first things first. I am new to PP 6.0/Creative Cloud, but not to Mac OSX. I am OSX certified so I know when I'm being lied to. When opening an existing project PP is saying my scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. Liar liar pants on fire.

When I created the project I had no problem setting the scratch disks to the project's working directory. It is a 3 TB volume separate from the OS. I checked permissions and just for laughs I removed all restrictions and made the disk Read/Write to everyone. I even added myself as the Admin with Read/Write. I closed PP and reopened the project. Same prompt. I rebooted. Same prompt. Since it is not a system drive there is no reason to, nor will it benefit to run disk permissions. I still cannot set that as the scratch drive. Do I need to add either Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny? Perhaps the tooth fairy?

I can copy, paste, detete and move files to my heart's content with Finder. Every night at 11 pm CC Cloner clones that volume to an identical drive. That drive is also accessible.

SOOO . . . . I am not the smartest guy in the world but I am far from the dumbest. What am I missing? It's 8:18 EST on April 2nd. 1st to answer before 9 pm wins a bag of double stuff Oreos.

Mac OS 10.8.3

MacPro

2 x 2.8 Quad Core Xeon

16 GB 800 DDR2 Ram

Drive 1: 500 GB System Drive

Drive 2: 1 TB Time Machine

Drive 3: 3 TB Media Drive

Drive 4: 3 TB clone of Drive 3

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

Are drives 3 and 4 exact clones of each other, and both online when you launch Pr?  Windows lets you set a drive letter per drive, but I don't know how Macs handle that.  It's possible Pr sees both drives and is getting confused on which one you want to use.

"Put this file in the white filing cabinet."

"There are 2 white filing cabinets."

"Put it in the white one."

"I give up."

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 7:42 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

Just as an observer here but this issue comes up on the forum a lot for Mac users, and I haven't seen a Windows user post about it.

My first step in trouble shooting would be to check user privileges, then target drive file system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

What format are the volumes in?

Some formats (such as NTFS) cannot be written to by MacOS, only read.

And some (ExFAT) are writable, but do not support all the file APIs on MacOS (and thus fail in odd ways).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

Multiple partitions on a single physical disk aren't generally a good idea performance-wise.  Did you try taking the clone offline before launching Pr to see if that made any difference?  I'm just hoping there's a better solution than partitioning a drive.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

Thanks for that.  Glad you got it sorted.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

I'm trying the new shared storage at the office and every time I open a new project, it says the scratch disk I assigned ( drive letter: 0) is write protected or unavailable. I tried changing all sorts of combinations with permissions and mounting and unmounting certain volumes in case it was getting confused and ended up just saying YES to assigning the scratch disks to My documents. When I opened the settings everything was in the drive letter I assigned it to ( 0). Maybe a bug on the CC update?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 8:19 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

I was having the exact same issue, resetting the scratch disks to documents, and then setting them back to "same as projects" wouldn't work. Neither did repairing the permissions of my drive with disk utility.

What finally worked was removing a "/" from the title of my project file. It was called "HOF / History.prproj" and when changed to "HOF - History.prproj", it loaded just fine. So check your project name for any characters premiere might not like.

May only work for some but was a small bug causing me big headaches.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points