Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Confused about color profile support in PNG

Apr 2, 2013 11:32 PM

Tags: #profile #png #icc #png_icc_profile

NOTE -- you have to hover over the image to see the real images.  The images embedded in the webpage have their profiles stripped -- just like photoshop does!  Interesting.

I ask a similar question on this before, but couldn't give a satisfactory demonstration of how photoshop doesn't support color profiles in png's.

But now I have a great one.

Picture A: this is with the correct color profile and displays correctly in firefox and probably other browsers -- also displays correctly on windows desktop and in large-icon view.  png-color-profile-test.png

Ok, anyone who doesn't believe me, grab that image and try to read it into photoshop...

I do, and get no warning on profile mismatch like I do on jpg's or tiff's:

photoshop strips the existing profile and adds sRGB which isn't the correct profile.

This is how photoshop transforms good colors into bad:

Photoshop not handling profile.png

Completly screwed up.

I have had multiple people notice how my png saved images from photoshop had "off" or bad colors -- usually washed out in comparison w/my monitor profile.

I can get 'ok' results if I flatten the image and *convert* my existing profile to sRGB -- and I usually get

something that looks 'acceptable'...though the jpg's render in accurate color.

Basically, photoshop can't read or write png web images. and maintain color fidelity unless they have no profile.  Even if they have an sRGB profile, I usually get washed out looking pics if I don't strip it but let adobe convert it.

In googling for my own problem, I found references to this problem in Adobe Photoshop going back to 2002.

Why does adobe refuse to fix this?  It's horrible.

They could fix it with a file plugin for existing CS5-6 users, but it really needs to get fixed and Adobe needs to stop ignoring this problem.

:-(  I find this extra depressing because I prefer to distribute my pictures losslessly in png,  but with photoshop, I'm left with lossy jpegs to get accurate color reproduction.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to Astara_

png-color-profile-test.png opens just fine in Photoshop CS6, CS5, CS4, and CS3.

And they save it with the profile and reopen it correctly as well.

The profile might be stripped if you use a third party PNG plugin, or if you have your color settings set to ignore profiles.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2013 9:54 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Don't I recall that File - Save As - PNG saves the profile while File - Save For Web - Png doesn't?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

There's no difference between the images in the post.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Save For Web saves the profile if you tell it to save the profile (default to no profile, no metadata).

And Save As... PNG saves the profile unless you disable it in the save dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

Save For Web saves the profile if you tell it to save the profile (default to no profile, no metadata).

No, Save For Web does not save the profile in PNG, and when you choose PNG in the SFW dialog, the Embed Color Profile checkbox vanishes from the dialog.

The OP will be working with a wider gamut than sRGB in Photoshop then using SFW to export to PNG and therefore with no profile. The browsers/viewers will assume the profile-lacking images are sRGB and therefore they will look washed-out in comparison to how they looked in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to conroy

SFW has offered ICC profiles in PNG for a while now.

Are you using something much older than CS6?

SFWPNG.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Astara_

No, Photoshop embeds the document profile.

The only time it could embed a monitor profile is if you set your RGB workingspace to your monitor profile and disabled loading of existing profiles in documents.  (because embedding the monitor profile is usually a mistake)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I use CS6 and its SFW definitely does not embed a profile in PNG.

You said in August 2012 that SFW does not embed the profile in PNG:

Screen shot 2013-04-03 at 18.35.33.png

This is my SFW plug-in version according to Help > System Info:

Save for Web 13.0, Copyright © 1999-2012 Adobe Systems Incorporated - from the file “Save for Web.plugin”

Here is my SFW dialog with no Embed Color Profile checkbox when PNG-24 is the format:

Screen shot 2013-04-03 at 18.39.37.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to conroy

It was an oversight, fixed in the later releases of CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

It was an oversight, fixed in the later releases of CS6.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Astara_

Astara_ wrote:

How did the SFW thing even come up??

SFW came up because its lack of profile embedding when exporting PNG (until a very recent version which you do not have) was one explanation for your problem of exported PNGs looking different to the original documents in Photoshop. Since we now know that you don't use SFW, nobody need mention it again in this thread.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 3, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

SFW has offered ICC profiles in PNG for a while now.

NO, it hasn't, not for perpetual license holders on Windows, who still only have the option of updating to 13.0.1.

Apparently that bit of functionality was added to Photoshop CS6 in 13.1, as I do see it in 13.1.2.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hmm, I tried 13.0.4 - which probably means it was released with 13.0.2, and yes, Windows perpetual users are left out of that fix.  Sigh.  Even I'm getting confused about these versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Why  on earth would you save an image with a monitor profile?   Is anyone else going to see it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 3, 2013 9:15 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

Hmm, I tried 13.0.4 - which probably means it was released with 13.0.2, and yes, Windows perpetual users are left out of that fix.  Sigh.  Even I'm getting confused about these versions.

Can't say I blame you.

It would be nice if Adobe would ultimately release all the bugfixes to PC users with perpetual licenses.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It would be nice if Adobe would ultimately release all the bugfixes to PC users with perpetual licenses.

But then you might never switch to Cloud Licensing, wouldn’t you?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points