Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Controlling text flow in a book

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am a noob to FM, and I am chasing a quick answer to what may seem like a simple problem. I'm hoping someone here can help.

We are currently using FM to create various documents for assembly in to books. Some of these documents may be as short as a paragraph or two, others may be many pages.

What I would like to know is, is it possible to make all of these various documents part of the same text flow when they are combined in to a book?

What I am trying to avoid is having excessive whitespace on pages where there is only a little information. I would prefer to control the flow so that it just continues on from the previous document in these situations.

I am using FM11 on Windows7.

Thanks for any help, or clarification if this is not possible.

Pete!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... is it possible to make all of these various documents part of the same text flow when they are combined in to a book?

Text insets can do that, with some limitations (Xrefs, primarily).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I'll do some research on using text insets then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have a good scour round the forum for tips on belabouring FM until it does not introduce quirky line spacing around insets ;-} and be ready to iterate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As one relative noob to another, I’d highly recommend you get the new FM11 “bible” – Unstructured FM11 by Matt Sullivan & Sarah O’Keefe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff, thx for the plug!!

I'll be presenting a 1-hour Adobe webinar at 9 Pacific today on recent FM features and workflow, for anyone who's interested...the registration link is

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=list&type=eseminar and I'll post a link to recording soon after the webinar.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't aware that this book was released yet. Last time I looked it was still in development. Time to look again I guess!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines