Skip navigation
Lars Bo Zhou Yi
Currently Being Moderated

Both Chinese and English in running header

Apr 3, 2013 1:57 AM

Hi-

I have mixed Chinese and English in my book without any problems. However, I have one heading with both Chinese and English and the Chinese characters will not show in the running header, only crossed out squares.

Got any ideas? Lars

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 2:10 AM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

Are you using a different font in the headers than you are elswhere? The crosse-out squares would indcate to me that there are no glyphs at those codepoints inthe current font.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:20 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I suppose the other half of the question is do you currently use the same font for both English and Chinese?

Running headers using a variable (and I'm guessing about the use of a variable here). don't work quite the same way as running text. The variable itself is only a single character for formatting purposes, so it can only have a single format applied to the entire string inside the variable. The variable can carry different formatting from surrounding text in the header, but you cannot break the variable string itself or apply one set of formatting to some words and different formatting to others.

One way to work around this limitiation is to use Running Header (Character Style) variables instead of Running Header (Paragraph Style) and to use several variables together, applying character styles in  the text to the different languages so they can be picked up independently and formatted independently in your header, but your paragraphs would have to have the same same pattern of language use in all the paragraphs you want to pick up for headers.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

Are you using the same font in the heading where the Chinese shows and in the header where it doesn't?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:33 AM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

Can you show me a screen capture of the the page that shows the Chinese text and the header with the boxes? Please select the Chinese portion of the header so it is highlighted and show the font field in the Control panel or Character panel, too. You can embed the image in your post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

I need to see the running header boxes highlighted and the font applied....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:56 AM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

Close, but not quite. I want to see the font you are using in that running header, so highlight the LiSong 18 character style variable and show the font field inthe panel again.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:57 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'll be offline for a bit, so no rush...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'm back for a bit before I go out to walk the dog.

I've been looking at the screen captures you provided, and I'm almost ceertain I know what the problem is. I don't have the LiSong font, though, so I'm not 100% sure.

It looks to me like you are using a combination of the LiSong and Arno Pro, with your English text set in Arno Pro and the Chinese in LiSong. That's fine so far, it will probably also be OK if you are using LiSong for the English in the body text, too.

In your running headers you've switched to an italic font, and, I think, therein lies the problem. I'm certainly not versed in typesetting Chinese, but my understanding is that there are no italics, and it looks to me like the entire running header is set in Arno Pro italic. Arno Pro does not have any Chinese glyphs, so you get the x-boxes. If you select the variable for the chines text and change the font to the LiSong I think they will go away and your correct glyphs will return.

Also, it looks like you have the header repeating because you've got both the two character style variables and aparagraph style variable. You don't need the last one if you use the first two.

And finally, and I probably should have mentioned this earlier, the character styles applied to this text don't necessarily need to do anything at all tothe formatting to work for defineing variables, as long as they have unique names. This allows you to name different parts of a paragraph without affecting the text in any way, but you can then apply separate formatting to your individual variables. In this particualr case, if I'm correct that you are using ArnoPro for the English and LiSong for the Chinese in the body text, it's probably appropriate to create a "Chinese" character style that includes the LiSong font (but not a size or color so you can apply it anywhere in your text and it will match the surrounding type except for the face), and an "English" style that is only a name.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

You mentiuoned earlier that the Chinese glyphs showed up correctly in your TOC. This would indicate that either you are using a font in the TOC that supports these glyphs, or that you've applied a character style in the headings that you picked up, or that you manually applied the formatting without a style by selecting the text and changing the font attributes. Your running header variable can pick up an assigned character style that is applied manually, by selecting text and applying the character style, or that is applied automatically through the use of a nested style or GREP style as part of your paragraph style definition.

The method you use will have an impact on what happens in the TOC, so I'm going to talk about that a bit, too. TOC picks up entire paragraphs based on the pargraph style applied to them. In the TOC itself you can continue to use that same paragraph style for your listings, or you can choose a new style so your listings are 10 pt regular, for example, even if the headings that you've picked up are 18 pt bold with a rule below.

Nested styles will not carry through in the TOC if you define new paragraph styles for the listings unless you also add them to the new paragraph style definitions, but manually applied character styles, or local formatting overrides will carry over. You may need to adjust the paragraph style defintions that you are using to format the TOC if you use nested styles to trigger your variables for the running headers. The good news is that if you took my suggestion to herat and the only thing your Chinese character style does is change the face, you can use exactly the same style nesting in the TOC aas you used in the heading paragagraph style.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

I'm back for a bit before I go out to walk the dog.

Isn't there a script for this?

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

Maybe this is obvious, but: you've applied a paragraph style to that running head, right? The variable picks up the first use of LiSongPro18Header, but you need to select the running head with the text tool and mark it with a parastyle (or character style) that has Chinese glyphs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

Your last group of screen shot doesn't mean much since we don't know where they are applied (or if there are additional character styles or local overrides applied as well).

I get the sense that you are having trouble grasping what I've been trying to say (and Joel is echoing) about styles and how to apply them, though maybe you don't realize that you are not really understanding. Would you be willing to share the file with me? I can do some markup on it and send it back to help explain what is happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to Lars Bo Zhou Yi

I am am not sure exactly why it is necessary to mark the Chinese running header with chara-style when I never had to mark other, English, running headers this way

Well, let's look at the way you make a running header. You define the variable first, right? Once the variable is defined, you then draw a new text frame and insert the variable. This is no different from drawing a new text frame and inserting the letter Q - that letter will have the styling information (font, etc.) of whatever paragraph style is defined as your default paragraph style for new text frames, right? If you draw a brand-new text frame, what font is selected? Does it support Chinese? From InDesign's point of view, that entire running header and that letter Q are identical - they are text, they're both a single character, and they are rendered in whatever font happens to be active in that text frame.

and the Chinese in the TOC works fine

The text that the TOC tool pulls in can have paragraph styles automatically applied retains character styles and local formatting/overrides, but the text that variables pull in does not retain such formatting. That's why the TOC works fine without addional styling or formatting, but the variables do need such styling applied.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points