Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Split and merge frames.

Apr 3, 2013 7:56 AM

Hello everyone. Simple question.

When i want to make rectangle path  with many rows and columns i use arrows on keyboard. (like this video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gjhpk8Vmo0 )  But, how can i split and then merge created frame yet? Certainly i can at once to create one frame with many columns and rows, but recently i has needed create frame with 2 rows and 3 columns, and middle columns had to be connected. I didn't know  how do that!

Thanks! )

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to JustHater

You cannot split or merge frames, only table cells.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to JustHater

Once you have created a gridified frame, then using the Gap Tool, hold down Command or Ctl key while adjusting size of frame or gap individually. Make an adjustment where the two desired frames overlap, not just against each other. Then use the direct selection tool to select overlapped frames. Then use Object > Pathfinder > Add to merge two frames. This new frame will still be live within the gridified group.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to JustHater

Screen Capture Provided

grid.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

Brilliant, Jeffrey!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Slick! I'll be adding that to my bag of tricks straightaway.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

If I understand Jeffrey's method, I don't think it's any faster than simply resizing one frame using the Selection tool so it overlaps it's neighbor, selcting both and using the pathfinder to combine. Perhaps I've missed something?  Still no way to split a frame that I can think of in the way you would in a table.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter, you are right, you don't need to use the gap tool to make the frames overlap. You can simply select an edge and drag it to overlap. When I originally tried this, for some reason it was merging shape, but leaving the interior strokes intact.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points