Skip navigation
crsry3
Currently Being Moderated

Question about custom PS menu in Encore CS6 Blu-ray project

Apr 3, 2013 8:00 AM

Tags: #custom #photoshop #menu #blu-ray #encore #cs6 #bluray #menus #encore_cs6

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. My project is in Encore CS6 for Blu-ray.

Basically, I have a documentary about a group of friends taking a roadtrip around the country. The film is broken down by days, which coincide with different cities they stop in.

For example:

- Day 1 they were in Atlanta, GA

- Day 2 they were in Tallahassee, FL

- Day 3 they were in Jacksonville, FL

- Etc

The problem I'm having is with the Chapter menu.

Here's what it looks like:

map-example.jpg

The Chapter menu it's a map of the region with the cities they stopped in and a graphic of their route with a line to each city.

Across the bottom of the menu are the Days to select, ie Day 1, Day 2, Day 3. These are the buttons to select and are not part of the map.

When the Days are selected with the bottom buttons I also want the cities in the map to be highlighted as well. But I can't figure out how to do this? When I bring the menu into Encore it gets all screwed up with selections all overlapping each other, because it thinks both the bottom Day buttons and the map city highlights are both buttons.

Here's what is happening when the menu is brought into Encore:

encore-menu.jpg

I only want the lower Day buttons to be selectable, and when they are chosen the city lights up as a separate informational graphic (which is not meant to be selectable as part of the button, just to provide the viewer additional information, in this case a reference on the map of where they are on each Day).

If someone can shed some light on how to do this I'd be most appreciative.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to crsry3

Hello,

It seems to me you may have to try a "menu swap" trick, which means you essentially swap out menus for each button pressed.  That way the points on the map light up when the corresponding button is pressed.

I recorded a video.  Is this the effect you're going for?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to crsry3

When the Days are selected with the bottom buttons I also want the cities in the map to be highlighted as well. But I can't figure out how to do this? When I bring the menu into Encore it gets all screwed up with selections all overlapping each other, because it thinks both the bottom Day buttons and the map city highlights are both buttons.

When you put the red dot inside the button group for that button, you make it part of the button. That is the nature of the DVD spec. And the area of the button is defined by the whole rectangle the encloses all the elements of the button.

The problem with BigMan's option (which is the option) is that it won't work using a mouse on a computer - a mouse rollover doesn't trigger the selection of the button. It will work on a computer when using the software player's "remote."

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to crsry3

Unfortunately not.  Because of the layout of your menu, you'd have to either use the menu swap that I mentioned, or switch the buttons to the points on the map.  Otherwise, because of the way buttons are handled, they will consistently overlap and will not be able to be used.

I know they aren't the greatest options. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points