Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Proper steps for first no-stress Apple review

Apr 3, 2013 7:26 AM

This forum is really a great source, thanks!

We have 2 ready editorial magazine (garden design). Tomorrow my colleague will subscribe the Professional account.

We want to publish a Multi-issue with subscription (Retail). I have a question about the proper sequence of steps to do:

a) Settings the Accounts (DPS App Builder account, Application account, Administrator account).

b) Publishing the free folio as free (we just have ios developer account)

c) Publishing the retail folio (i know that in-app purchases are not easy)

d) Build a Viewer (Multi-issue with subscription) and send it to Apple for review

I read that Apple do not approve Viewer without content and for this we wait and now we have 2 small magazine ready.

The questions are: how Apple can check my two magazine if i send in review only the Viewer? (i'm a new customer for Apple and do not know my contents). And: can i publish only the free folio or it's better to publish also the retail?

Mary

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Mary Basil

If all you submitted was the viewer without publishing some free content

for it, it's going to be reject.

If you published the free folio, they'll see it and review it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Mary,

If you haven't seen it already you may find our step-by-step publishing guide helpful: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ppcompdoc/Adobe_Publishing_Companion_Guide _for_iPad.pdf.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 18, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to Mary Basil

It sounds like you want to create an app that lets users purchase either individual folios or purchase a subscription to folios. To do this, you need use iTunes Connect to create two kinds of in-app purchases. (1) Create an in-app purchase for each retail folio that you're going to sell.  (2) Create in-app purchases for each subscription duration you want to offer.

You specify the in-app purchases for the individual folios whenever you publish a folio. When you publish a folio, you specify Public and Retail, and you specify the exact same Product ID you specify in iTunes Connect when you create the in-app purchase. We recommend that you use the com.mycompany.myappname.issue name format. Again, you'll need a different Product ID for each different folio. In other words, your January and February issues require different Product IDs and different in-app purchases. If you create folio renditions (such as 1024x768 and 2048x1536 folios), use the same Folio Name, Product ID, and Publication Date for the renditions.

As I said, you'll also create Product IDs in iTunes Connect for your subscription duration. We recommend that you use the format com.mycompany.myappname.duration format. You specify these Product IDs in DPS App Builder.

To enable Newsstand, follow the instructions in the companion guide. You need to do a few things to make it work.

I don't think you want to test a custom viewer if it doesn't have content. Pubish a retail folio for testing. Retail folios appear in the development viewer you create even if Apple hasn't approved the in-app purchase. They don't show up in the public version of the app unless the IAP is approved.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 5, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to Mary Basil

Public + Retail, not Free + Retail.  Or, Public + Free for a free folio. Any Public folio will show up in the Developer app if you publish the folio using the same Adobe ID to publish the folio that you specify for the Title ID in DPS App Builder. Try it.

Yes, you can test purchases in your development app using a test user. It's explained in the companion guide.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 10, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to Mary Basil

Hi Mary,

I think you're too concerned about the order of these tasks. You should plan on testing the app you create before submitting it to Apple. Here are the general steps:

1) Make sure that you have a valid Title ID account.

When you first subscribe to DPS with a Professional account, you or someone at your company will work with Adobe to set up a master account. You'll use that master account in the Account Admin tool to assign an Application role to an Adobe ID (which is the "Title ID" in DPS App Builder). Unfortunately, if you've been creating and testing folios with an existing account (such as janedoe@gmail.com), you cannot assign an Application role to that account. Instead, you need to create a new account and assign it the Application role.

If you end up needing a different account, there are two ways to transfer your articles from one account to the other: (1) importing multiple articles, and (2) Share folio / Copy To each article. Let use know if you need more details.

2) Create p12 development and distribution certificates. (You'll also want to specify your banking information, etc. as explained in the Publishing Guide.)

3) Create App ID (iOS Developer Portal is now called Member Center, but I think of it as the main Apple Developer site). Enable the app for push notifications and in-app purchasing.

4) Create mobileprovision files and push certificates on the Apple Developer site.

5) Create app in iTunes Connect. Also create in-app purchases for individual folios and for subscriptions. Copy your shared secret to the Account Admin tool. Enable Newsstand. (I might be forgetting a couple of steps, but it's all in the guide.)

6) Use your Application ID/Title ID account to publish the folios using the Product IDs of the in-app purchases you created for individual folios.

7) Create app with App Builder. Specify your subscription Product ID values from iTunes during this process.

8) Download the developer .ipa file to your iPad and test using the sandbox environment.

9) If everything works, download the distribution .zip file and submit it to Apple.

Again, please step through the companion guide. If you have questions, let us know.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 11, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to Mary Basil

1) When you say you publish 10 magazines a year, i assume that you mean magazine issues within the app, not 10 separate apps. Your Product ID naming conventions are fine. Make sure that you use a different Product ID for each separate issue.

2) that's fine. The in app purchase Reference name is for your eyes only.

3) Right, no Apple review for any free folio. Just publish a folio as free and public, and it shows up in your app. For any paid folio, submit a separate in-app purchase. You can submit multiple in-app purchases in advance. Again, use different Product IDs for each separate folio.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 18, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to Mary Basil

1) When you use iTunes Connect to submit a new version of your app, you specify this "What's New" information. The Description field below it is also from iTunes Connect. You specify that when you first create the app in iTunes Connect, and you can go back in and edit it at any time.

2) I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 18, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to Mary Basil

Do you have an iPad, Mary? If so, download apps such as National Geographic, WIRED, and The New Yorker. The apps appear in Newsstand. There is no way to publish a folio in Newsstand app that appears outside of Newsstand. That just wouldn't make sense.

The description of the in-app purchase can be changed after Apple review, but the description doesn't matter.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points