The document I am working on has two artboards (front and back of a document) and I am trying to center some text on the artboard. The issue that I am having is that when I try to align something to center on the first artboard (the left one) it moves it off that board and aligns center on the 2nd artboard (the right one).
I have about 10 other files with this same set up (two artboards, multiple text boxes) and have never had an issue with alignment. As long as "align to artboard" is selected Illustrator never moves the text box to the other artboard to align it.
Please help! Thanks in advance!
It could be that you're just stumbling across an astonishing speciality of Illustrator. For example, in AI CS5, you may do the following steps.
1. Create a document with 2 artboards
2. On artboard 1, draw a filled rectangle
3. Leave artboard 2 blank
4. Select the rectangle on artboard 1, then Shift click on artboard 2
5. Deselect the rectangle on artboard 1 by clicking somewhere on the scratch area (outside the artboard boundaries)
6. Marquee select the rectangle not only by touching its boundaries but also by completely surrounding artboard 1
7. Do an Align to artboard
Would you now say that the result is exactly as expected? Would you think that marquee selecting (as described in point 6.) instead of just clicking on the rectangle should make a difference in that situation?