Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating slideshows with Premiere Elements 11

Apr 3, 2013 10:32 AM

Tags: #slideshows #premiere_elements_11 #adjusting_duration #still_images_in_timeline

I'm trying to use digital still JPEG images to create a slideshow in Premiere Elements 11 but I can't even do simple things such as change the duration of each image in the timeline.  It seems to be preset at 30 frames a second and "Help" says to change the duration prior to importing. But surely there must be a way to change the duration of individual photos -- and groups of images -- once they are imported into the timeline.

I've used still images mixed in with video before and that seemed to work ok.

I'd like to use Premiere since I might later want to mix in video clips and also mix in music on the soundtrack.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to TomVideo4477

In PrE 11, I would make sure that I was in Expert Mode, then just click+drag on the Tail of a Still, to alter its Duration. I also like to have the Info Panel open and visible, to fine-tune the Duration change.

If one finds that the Default Still Duration is not close, then in Edit>Preferences>General, they can alter that for Stills to be Imported later.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to TomVideo4477

I've had a lot of fun with that recently.

Adding to what Hunt wrote, it seems important to have the right project settings.  In PrE 11 they are normally created automatically when you first drag an asset into the timeline.  So, it is important to help PrE do that by making using your most important video clip first.  You can move it later. 

If I am only going to use photos,  manually set the project at AVCHD 1080p60 when I start.  I can post a screen capture of that too.

If I am mixing video an photos, I make sure I start with a video.

You owe it to yourself to watch the 8 free training videos here:  http://muvipix.com/pe11.php  If that works for you, there is a much more thorough $25 course at www.lynda.com .

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to TomVideo4477

When ONLY dealing with Still Images (no Video), you can create the Project per your desired output, say BD (Blu-ray Disc), and then check Force Project Settings.

1. I would first determine the approximate average desired Duration, and set that in Edit>Preferences>General>Default Still Duration.
    2. Import your Still Images.
    3. Drag them to the Timeline, in the desired order.
    4. If necessary, adjust the Duration of any of the Stills, that you wish changed from that Default Stills Duration.
    5. If you want the same Transition between each Still Image, then select that as the Default Transition, Select ALL Stills, and Rt-click, choosing Apply Default Transition.
    6. For the Ken Burns Effect, you might be able to apply one of the animation Presets, but I choose to do the Pans & Zooms manually, as only I know exactly where I want to Zoom, and/or Pan to.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to TomVideo4477

Tom,

You are most welcome.

If you do find that the animation Presets are too limiting for what you need, then there is the powerful function, Keyframing of Effects. For Pan & Zoom, those involve two of the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position (Pan), and Motion>Scale (Zoom). Every Clip has Fixed Effects automatically applied to them. Keyframes can be used to animate most Effects, whether Fixed, or Applied, but one does need a bit of background, if they have never worked with them. The best tutorials that I have seen for PrE come from our MOD, Steve Grisetti, and are available on Muvipix.com - Basic Keyframing Techniques. Once one has the concept of Keyframing down, and know where the controls are located, they offer great power, and are both fun and easy.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

One of the free chapters in the Lynda.com course that Steve Grisetti teaches is Pan and Zoom.  Look at Section 3 here:  http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Elements-tutorials/Up-Running-Premiere-E lements-11/109763-2.html

The Pan and Zoom tool, IMHO, is very useful and has a few hidden controls.  I don't how Ken Burns could do it any better. 

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

When ONLY dealing with Still Images (no Video), you can create the Project per your desired output, say BD (Blu-ray Disc), and then check Force Project Settings.

That is not a choice in Premier Elements.  I use AVCHD 1080p60

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to TomVideo4477

Have you checked out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com? It has the answers to most of your basic questions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to TomVideo4477

I agree with Steve's suggestion on his Basic Training Series - and also his book, Muvipix Guide to Premiere Elements 11.

For the Titler question, think of everything that you see in a Title as an "object." It can be a Text Object, a Shape Object, a Graphic Object, etc.

As what is seen as Text is really a Text Object, all one has to do is look in the Titler's Toolbox, and choose the Selection Tool (arrow), then click on the Text with that. A Bounding Box will form around the Text, and with the Selection Tool, one can drag that Text Object all around the Titler, positioning it where desired. The same for a Shapes Object, or a Graphic Object.

Just click, and look for the Bounding Box, then drag.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to TomVideo4477

Thank you for sharing. Looks like Marco Island was great fun!!!

For those portrait oriented images, you might get some ideas from this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2471303#2471303

Lots of possibilities in there.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to TomVideo4477

Tom,

I watched your slide show.  Your first post said, "I can't even do simple things".  Your last post, only a day later, provides a YouTube video.  When watched with the 1080pHD quality selected, it is incredably clear and crisp.  Not only that, it tells a great family story.

I have made learning Premier Elements a retirement project.  Recently, I completed a 70 minute family reunion "documentary" that included a mix of video footage from two brands of cameras and still photos.  I would be thrilled to help you with what I learned about titles, transitions, composites, pan and zoom, etc. 

But, first I want to know what you did to get such great picture quality into YouTube!  I'm asking because a variety of Premier users have posted here that they get "blurry" or otherwise bad results.  Lots of suggestions are made that often don't seem to work.  With a single days work, yours is perfect!

How did you start and set up the project?  What were the Project Presets?  How did you bring the photos into Premier?

What sort of computer are you using? 

What sort of camera are you using?  What is the photo file type, JPEG or RAW?  What did you do to the photos before you loaded them into Premier, if anything?  Did the photos with the vertical or portrait orientation need anything extra?

For the sake of sharing, I made a short video of my brother last year that included a mix of titles, transitions and still photos that might be my best effort so far.  Please enjoy:  https://vimeo.com/36973087

Thanks...

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to TomVideo4477

I used your techniques with no resizing and minimal processing for  a 3 minute slide show of a trip to Maui two years ago. 

https://vimeo.com/63436453   (Push the HD button)

The slides that are not full screen in the first half came from my wife's very inexpensive Sony pocket camera.  The full screen slides in the second half are mine from a Sony HX9V.  All are .jpg.

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points