Skip navigation
PeggyFischer
Currently Being Moderated

Dont have permission to save in location

Apr 3, 2013 12:45 PM

I keep getting this error when I try to save a file in presets.  Error messge:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop, CS5\Presents\Card Templetes: You don't have permission to save in this location: Contact the administrator to obtain permission:  Would you like to save in the My Pictures folder instead? 

I am the only person that uses my computer and I am the administrator, need help with this please.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to PeggyFischer

The message does mean what it says.

Most likely you are not running with Administrator privledges, and really don't have permission to save to that location.

That, or the permissions are messed up on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to PeggyFischer

Can you save other places in the ProgramFiles directory (where the application and presets folder are located)?

Normally the Program Files directory is protected and does require administrator privledges.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to PeggyFischer

OK, then your program files directory is set to disable saving, or requires administrator privledges that you don't currently have.

This is not a Photoshop error, just a problem with your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to PeggyFischer

If you right click on the PS icon you can select "run as administrator".  This will be a temporary fix until you can weed through the permission issues in the OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to PeggyFischer

What are you trying to do in that folder?  Much of the user settings are in user/AppData/roaming/  -  -.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to PeggyFischer

Not a computer whiz but believe it is bad practice to save User files to Program Files.  If you put a file in the wrong place you can foul up the program.  That is why the OS has labeled them "read only" to prevent such errors.

Make another file  in My Pictures, or somewhere else.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 12:18 AM   in reply to PeggyFischer

I am having the exact same problem.  I just updated CS5 because Photoshop kept crashing in the middle of my work.  The crashing problem seems to be solved, but now I am getting the same message you are.  I could save files with no problem before the update.  I have not touched permissions or anything on my OS and I am logged in as the administrator.  It's frustrating!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to brio2000

brio2000,

Are you saving user files to Program Files locations also?  Not recommended, why not create a user library somewhere else?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points