Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to maintain high quality image when importing jpg's?

Apr 3, 2013 2:10 PM

Tags: #importing_images #quality_loss #opening_jpg_images

I see a very noticeable degradation of the photo's I import to Premiere Pro, even after rendering.  I have the monitor playback setting on the highest setting and the still playback setting on the highest setting, but the jpg's I imported are much more grainy and of lower quality than when I view them in Lightroom or Photoshop.  How do I ensure I maintain the best possible quality?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to lettingone

Remember that Premiere's program monitor shows the images as video.  If your sequence is interlaced, the program monitor may be displaying every other trace (this is a display option as I recall).

What does it look like when exported and viewed on a TV. 

Did the image size on import match the sequence parameters? if your image in Lightroom was say 6 x 4 inches and the resultion set to 72 dpi, the pixel dimensions are 432 x 288.  If you expecting this to fill a 1920 x 1081 sequence, you are going to see degradation as Premier Pro scales it up to fill the image.

It important to remember the difference in mission of lightroom and premiere.  Premiere doesn't give a hoot what the dpi is--it only cares what the pixel dimensions are.

Best approach is to do all scaling in photoshop by cropping the image to the pixel size, e.g. 1920 x 1080.  In the crop tool set a fixed height and width "1920 px" by "1080 px" ===the dpi is irrelevant to premiere pro.

Before cropping check the general preferences in photoshop to ensure you have the best scaling algorithm depending on whether you scaling up or down.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to lettingone

Welcome to the forum.

Also, if you are shooting RAW, I would then stick with PSD's, instead of JPEG, after processing in Lightroom w/ ACR.

Good luck, and I agree completely with SLF46.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to lettingone

How do you intend to deliver the final product?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to lettingone

Use a DV 24p Widescreen sequence.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers