Skip navigation
justincboyer
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD playback

Apr 3, 2013 12:45 PM

Tags: #issue #mts #avchd

I don't even know what to do about this. I've used Photoshop for years and recently decided to start exploring video editing. My video camera is a Panasonic HC-V100M and it shoots in HD (AVCHD / .MTS). For some reason, playback of the clips is, for lack of a better word, "choppy". I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, I haven't even been able to experiment with Premiere Pro CS6 because I can't watch the footage properly. I've been stuck trying to find a solution for days and have no idea what to do about it.

I open Premiere Pro, click New Project, click OK, select AVCHD 1080p60 sequence preset, and then I import the .MTS files. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this? How can I convert it to another file type without losing the HD quality? Is there a better program for editing AVCHD footage?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to justincboyer

Welcome to the forum.

AVCHD (and any H.264 material) is highly dependent on one's CPU power. Please see this FAQ Entry, and answer the questions there, especially the computer specs.: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to justincboyer

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions June 2010 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed

As Hunt says, you need a STRONG computer to effectively edit AVCHD

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to justincboyer

Are you sure you shot 1080p/60 and not 1080p/30, which is much more common? Select a clip in the project panel and right click, then select Create New Sequence From Clip. That will make sure your sequence matches what you shot.

AVCHD needs a beefy computer, so please answer those questions asked above.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:17 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just thought i would ask you, i am having similar issues.. However, I am using a 12-Core mac Pro

12-Core 2.4GHz (2.67GHz Turbo boost)
    40GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM

ATI 5770 Radeon Graphics card

Is this computer more than capable of handling AVCHD? The camera im using is a Sony NX5U

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points