Skip navigation
abcone123
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make white/purple lines go away with exporting a PDF?

Apr 3, 2013 2:36 PM

Hi guys,

I have looked everywhere for an answer to this question and I can't seem to find anything. Maybe I am searching the wrong way, but here goes.

I used trace to do a trace of my image. I then used live paint to paint chunks of it. When I hovered over each bit, it would come up with a thick pink line and would fill in that line. So all was going well, I got everything the colour I wanted it, etc. I tried to export my image to a PDF and the purple lines that were so helpful to me when I was doing live paint still showed up, but showed up as a white outlineScreen Shot 2013-04-03 at 5.34.36 PM.png. I read forums and tried everything-deselected the keep ability to edit in illustrator and create acrobat layers from top level layers. But every time I try to open it in preview on the mac, the purple lines are still there. I can "click off of them" within illustrator, ie-select somewhere else on the page and it makes them go away, but even if they aren't showing up when I save it, they still show up on preview. I have no idea what to do! I can't print it out like it is now!

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to abcone123

Those lines won't print. THey are anti-aliasing artifacts

You can get rid at least of the ones in same-color-areas by using the pathfinder "Merge" on the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to abcone123

abcone,

I tried to export my image to a PDF and the purple lines that were so helpful to me when I was doing live paint still showed up,

Export to a PDF?

What happens if you Save a Copy as PDF or print to PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, that won't help. This happens, when Live-Paint artwork gets expanded which will always happen in PDF, no matter how you create them.

BTW: printing PDFs will flatten even more stuff as it is created through PostScript.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Monika, how will it not print if it shows in a PDF (to print from Illy you will need a PostScript printer)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

PDF uses anti-aliasing of vector objects. This is why the lines are there.

Turn anti-aliasing off and the lines are gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 3:40 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Monika,

I had misread the OP to mean that the lines showed in PDF as well as in print.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points