Skip navigation
sjm0418
Currently Being Moderated

Why do my psd files not equal the same size inside of illustrator?

Apr 3, 2013 5:24 PM

Hi,

I am using cs6 on a macbook pro with retina (dunno if that matters).

i noticed a while ago that the sizes of my documents in photoshop are smaller than normal. Im not sure if this is a resolution issue, but in illustrator, indesign, after effects everything looks normal sized. I am trying to create a thumbnail in ps that is 310x225px. When I place the psd in illustrator it becomes 74.4x54px. Creating a new document in ps with both resolitions 72 and 300 result in the same size artboard. I'm not sure if this is something simple I am overlooking, but I don't want to have pixelated thumbnails in my mockup. There must be something I can change to make photoshop create normally sized images. Any insight to my issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to sjm0418

I wonder if this has something to do with the retina.  Believe it has 4x the pixels and PS adjusts for that.  Not sure of the other apps.  But 4 x 74.5 = 298 and 4 x 54 = 216 which is close to thumbnail.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to sjm0418

Illustrator will place the PSD according to the PSD's physical size.

Your 1.033" x 0.75" PSD will be placed as a 1.033" x 0.75" object in Illustrator, regardless of the resolution (ppi) of the PSD.

Edit: I think you are confused about what Illustrator is telling you if you set its measurement units to pixels. It'll report a physical dimension converted to a quantity of pixels at 72 ppi regardless of the quantity of actual pixels in a placed raster image.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to sjm0418

The Image > Image Size dialog allows you to specify the document size in various units and whether to resample or simply change the ppi tag to achieve a given physical size.

Screen shot 2013-04-04 at 21.10.10.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to sjm0418

sjm0418 wrote:

I don't want to have pixelated thumbnails in my mockup.

Remember that everything is displayed as pixelated at 72 ppi when Pixel Preview is enabled in Illustrator, regardless of the document elements really being raster images with any resolution (for example 300 ppi) or vectors (which have no resolution).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to sjm0418

sjm0418 wrote:

i dont think you are understanding my question.

No, you are failing to understand some things.

I already told you that Illustrator will place the PSD at the physical size (which could be inches, points, cm or mm) of the PSD. The physical size of the PSD depends on the pixel density (a.k.a resolution) and the quantity of pixels in width and height.

310 px x 225 px @ 300 ppi PSD measures 1.033" x 0.75"

310 px x 225 px @ 72 ppi PSD measures 4.306" x 3.125"

I also already told you that if you set Illustrator's units to pixels, it will report sizes converted from the physical size (e.g. inches) to pixels at 72 pixels per inch.

Your new screenshot illustrates (pun intended ) that perfectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to sjm0418

sjm0418 wrote:

i dont understand the need to use inches as the unit because this will be a design for web.

You personally don't need to use inches or any other physical unit, but you do need to be aware that the size of a PSD in a physical unit, such as the inch, determines the size at which it will be placed in an Illustrator document, and the physical size of the PSD depends on its pixel density.

Use 72 ppi resolution in Photoshop so Illustrator will place the PSD at the size which you have been expecting since you are producing work for the Web.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to sjm0418

sjm0418 wrote:

ya im really just not understanding you and walking myself in circles. my old laptop with cs5 doesn't have this problem at all. all the sizes are unified between illustrator, photoshop and safari. where in cs6 on my new laptop ilustrator and safari have the same size images, but photoshop is half as big.

Now you're talking about a separate issue from the placement size of a PSD in Illustrator being dependent on the physical size of the PSD (as shown in your screenshot) and that physical size being dependent on the PSD resolution.

I don't know what compensations Safari and Illustrator make to displayed image size when outputting to a Retina display. With Photoshop, if you view at 100% zoom then images will look about half as wide and half as tall on Retina as on a regular display because of the correspondingly higher pixel density of Retina. Try viewing at 200% zoom in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to sjm0418

I'm having the same issue, did you resolve this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to sjm0418

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm gonna have to try to figure this out though because it just started out of nowhere and it's going to drive me nuts ha.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to sjm0418

i definitely will. may try to get the IT guys at my work to help me next

week ha. it's mostly weird because it just started happening out of nowhere

so either i pressed keys and it made it a default or it's an update, i just

don't remember an update recently so think it's something i did by

accident. either way i'll let you know! -L

|
    Mark as:

More Like This