Skip navigation
m.c.savage22
Currently Being Moderated

Breaking an image across multiple frames

Apr 3, 2013 7:05 PM

Tags: #graphic_frame

I understand how to put the same image across multiple frames, but I don't want to lose any of the image in the space between each frame. Is there any way to have the image stop at the end of one frame and then continue when a new frame begins?

For example, think of a patterned glass plate that has been broken. The pieces (or frames) are apart from each other, but none of the pattern is missing because the pattern is only on the pieces of the glass plate. Can I do that on InDesign?

My goal is to get a landscape PDF across a portrait spread by using a frame on each page--all without losing any of the information on the PDF.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to m.c.savage22

@m.c.savage22 – duplicate the frame and move the image (in your case a placed PDF) inside of the duplicated frame in x direction the exact width of the original frame.

But this is not flexible at all. If you change the original you have to change the duplicate manually.

In InDesign you cannot establish an automatic  relationship for one frame to the duplicate that instantly reacts, if the original image is moved or resized inside the frame.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to m.c.savage22

Are you looking for something like this:

Screen shot 2013-04-04 at 2.02.36 AM.png

If so, I did it by making a compound path (Object>Paths>Make Compound Path) out of six frames.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

@Michael – no. She or he is not…
    Take the scatter glass example:

ImageIn2Pieces.png

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Laubender

OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to m.c.savage22

Do as Uwe says. But it will still take a special image to not see perhaps an undesired effect--pure horizontal and vertical elements in the PDF/Image ends up looking proper. Any deviation can be amplified.

A sample image of what you truly are wanting to achieve would be good. Even a hand drawing scanned and saved as an image.

The below is an animated GIF that shows what I think you want but remain unclear.

Take care, Mike

image_across_frames.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to m.c.savage22

Hi M.C.,

Naw, I winged it and in the end I also sized the frames to more or less fit the content.

With the four frames abutted together, it is reasonably quick to move the contents in the frames and line them up. Then once moved and lined up, one can simply move the frames to wherever.

Now, if I were to decide to change how they were moved in the frames, I would likely move them back together and make the changes, then put them back on their respective pages again.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to m.c.savage22

Ok. I was a little preoccupied earlier and I got to thinking there should be an easier way to do this.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/picture_across_frames-2.pdf_

I think this is a pretty assured means of accomplishing this. And if one has to make a change, it is pretty easy to just redo it.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to MW Design

There´s a script for that in InDesign´s Scripts > Samples > Javascript... it´s named MakeGrid.jsx.

Just select your image and double click script name. Choose amount of rows and columns, set slug to be zero, frame type graphic and hit ok...

Script leaves original image behind the gridded ones but you can just remove it after you have moved grid frames...

You can also change the cropping of grid frames if you want sizes of those grid frames to alternate...

More about that script:

http://indesignsecrets.com/transform-a-frame-into-a-grid-of-frames.php

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 1:29 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

Well, how about that! Thanks. Guess I should play with the provided scripts so I know what's there.

Now how do I get that 15 minutes back?

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 1:49 AM   in reply to m.c.savage22

This topic came up awhile back, too, and I played around with using a single prame and the scissors tool.  Cut the frame at any two points, then select each piece and you can move  them apart. If you use the pathfinder to close the paths you can then  also cut them again, or you can use the pen tool to add nodes to the  dividing edges to make free-forms like this:

Sliced Image.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

OT

So Peter, who's doing the saggar raku?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I don't think I should say here on the web, other than that she's a local potter on Cape Cod. I can PM you with more details if you like, though.

Not too many people would have recognized what that shot was. Someone in your family make pots?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

My wife and I do. She makes them; I glaze and fire them. Mostly cone 10 gas-reduction firing at home.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Sounds similar to the work my wife does (I stay away from the clay). Let's take this off-line and I'll send you the local potters stuff I do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points