Skip navigation
tsader_2012
Currently Being Moderated

Short Brush Stroke Lag CS6 in Dual Monitor Setup

Apr 4, 2013 10:48 AM

When I use a brush or any of the clone\healing tools the brush start lagging when I do you short and quick strokes.

Longer and continuous strokes don't have any lagging going on.

I have reinstalled the driver and tried a few different versions as well but the issue persists. I also tried different settings for the Graphics Processor in preferences but no change.

I am on an Intuos5 L and before that I had the Intuos 3 A4 and I had the problems with that tablet as well.

I am on i5 iMac Quad-Core 2.5ghz, 32gb ram Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB - Mac OS X 10.7.5

Update:

After a few testing I realized this lagging appears to happen only when I am on Dual monitor setup.

My main monitor is an Eizo CG222W I have Photoshop setup whereby all my tools and panels are on my iMac and the main window with the image is on my Eizo.

When I only use my Eizo with tools and panels then the lagging disappears.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to tsader_2012

Is there a chance you're getting beyond your RAM allocation and each brush stroke is causing data to have to be swapped to the scratch file?  Are you seeing disk activity that could confirm this?  What are your RAM limit and History States preference settings?

Doesn't seem like you should be able to get ahead of a healthy system like that, though.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 14, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to tsader_2012

Is it possible you're just overrunning your computer?   If you slow down does it catch up?

Exactly what brush?  How big an image?  Bit depth?

I can see some lag with larger brushes.  I don't sense a difference due to the Histogram panel being open.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 20, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to tsader_2012

I guess I was thinking that if the Histogram Panel requires more processing so as to fill it out, then you could expect its display to take more computer time.

For what it's worth, I did some testing and with a sufficiently large brush I can certainly get ahead of Photoshop - that's pretty well known.  I couldn't see for myself where having the Histogram Panel open made any difference, though.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points