Skip navigation
Achsel12
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat failed to load its core DLL

Apr 4, 2013 10:56 AM

I made the mistake of clicking on update the other day and have been without reader since.  I have tried fixing the install.  I have tried removing reader and reinstalling the newest version and nothing works.  Somehow the whole acrobat reader function is corrupted and I can no longer send out quotes for my company.  First a security box comes up and no matter which of the three choices I select I get the Acrobat failed to load its core DLL.

I am dead in the water without the ability to turn my quotes to PDFs.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Achsel12

This error occurs if you are installing Acrobat/Reader to a Windows NT platform.  There is a BIOS setting "limit CPUID Function" that should be enabled for NT machines and disabled for XP/2000 machines. 

Solution

#

With this setting enabled on Windows NT in the BIOS the problem does not occur.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to Achsel12

May I ask what the alternate PDF reader program is/was that you installed.  I am one of the many unfortunate others who upgraded the Adobe Reader program and now encountered the same conditions/errors.  Totally Frustrating/Annoying.  One has to assume that the current version wasn't fully developed/tested to insure installation & use would be problem free.   Your support would be most appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to rjmax950

Search Google for "alternate PDF viewers", and you will find various alternatives.  Be wary of "Foxit Reader", as it will try to sneak spyware onto your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Achsel12

When the core library does not work anymore, Acrobat / Reader can no longer run because the components it depends on do not load.

> Enable the hidden Admin Account on Windows 7 ( Ref :  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-adminis trator-account-on-windows-vista/ )

> Disable all Non-Microsoft Startup Services. (Ref : http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-servic es-windows.html )

> Disable all the Antivirus softwares temporarily from the computer.

This error is known for conflicting Antivirus softwares like CA, Norton,Mc Afee etc.

> Delete the all the contents in the locations mentioned in the doc :

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/problems-uninstalling-reader.html

Note: It's possible that your system doesn't contain all of the files and folders listed in this document. If you do not find a listed file or folder on your system, proceed to the next file or folder on the list.

> Reboot the computer and install Adobe Reader 11 and check

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to Achsel12

I have the same problem, following an updt applied shortly befire 6 Apr. "Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL"

HOWEVER , if I open a CLI windows and at the prompt enter:

\progra~1\adobe\reader~1.0\reader\acrord32

Acrobat Reader opens fine and normal  and I can open any .pdf file on my harddrive including ones I created at Kingsport Press under Acrobat Distiller 3.0 years ago.

The laptop was bought in Spring of 2008 and has had numerous updates applied over the years. The AcroRd32.exe is version 9.5 and op sys is Windows Vista.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to Achsel12

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers