Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I make a transition automatically match the length of overlap between two video clips?

Apr 4, 2013 12:02 PM

An editor asked me if there's a way in CS6 (or CSnext for that matter) to make it behave like Premiere 6.5 used to do.

For those who remember, in the pre-Pro days of Premiere, (4.2, 5.1, 6 and 6.5) there were tracks A, B and a transition track. If you put a clip on track A, and a clip on track B, and they overlapped a bit, when you added a transition to the transition track it was automaticaly the length of that overlap.

Can I make that happen in CS6? Say I put a clip on V1 and a clip on V2 and they overlap by five seconds, can I add a transition that will automatically be five seconds long, and the midpoint of that transition will be 2.5 seconds?

I've had a go at a bunch of ways, but can't get it down to below a KB shortcut and two click'n'drags.

This isn't a life or death situation, or something that most of us need for our workflows. This chap still uses Premiere 6.5 and a Canopus DVStorm card for his editing. But he asked me this question and my curiosity was piqued. I said I'd do some research, so here I am, researching!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

No automatic way to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to shooternz

Why do you want to put clips like this on two tracks?  If all you seek a transition between two clips, you place them both on the same track, remembering to leave adequate "handles" between the clip ins and clip outs and the physical end of the clip.  The handles are not visible but will be included in the transition

If you place a five second transition on the joint between the two clips, the effects control panel allows to to select "start at joint, end at joint, center on joint (which is the default as far as I can tell).  Of course, you must have provided 2.5 seconds of handles on both adjacent clips, otherwise premiere will shorten the transitions to the available handle durations. 

In thia approach all you need to do is drop the transituon--one mouse drag and drop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

He would probably like the Sony Vegas way of adding Transitions (I do) wherein the clips actually overlap by however many frames you want the transition to be. Overlapping clips are crossfades and you just drop your desired transition on the overlap. Something I'd like to see come to PP.

If you use the FXFactory Transitions, you'll notice they do not act like native transitions in Premiere CS6 and require 2 tracks similar to A/B Roll Editing, minus the 3rd track in between.

I prefer the Vegas way of adding/altering transitions. If he's looking for a visual indication of a transition, I think he'll soon acclimate to recognizing the BOX between 2 clips  as transitions. Hopefully he will appreciate the use of screen real-estate where a transition only requires 1 vertical track instead of 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to [r]Evolution

overlap by however many frames you want the transition to be.

When you do it the A/B way...how do you count the number of frames you are overlapping?

(eg you want a 48  frame cross dissolve...how do you mark and count 24 frameseach side in a quick and efficient manner)

Beauty of a single track transition is you can see the cut with and without the transition.

In A/B transitions...you have to appy the transition otherwise it looks like the cut is in the wrong place (early)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 11:00 PM   in reply to shooternz

I started with A/B editing and fought single track editing almost to the death - mine not its.

I am used to it now, but boy oh boy did I fight against it. You could certainly see the overlap easy enough with A/B editing. The transition was on the transition track, of course.

By the way, measuring 24 frames is easy. Click on the numbers indicating the playhead position and type the plus sign then 24.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

If you are really homesick, the effects control panel shows the two clips and the transition in a A/B mode.  Using the trim tools on the clips in panel (not the timeline) you can adjust the handles and overlap, visually.  this is a quick way to check that the handles are adequate as if they are not, the missing handle will be cross-hatched

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points