Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rotate Rotation > Arbitrary does not show up sometimes

Apr 4, 2013 12:39 PM

long time user of photoshop here trying to up my game a bit (it is rather slow and sloppy ATM).

does anyone know why i sometimes do not have access to the Arbitrary section of rotate image and can only do 90 degrees?

i have a tiff that i need to rotate by 1 or 2 degrees and PS is not giving me this option.

TIA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to hotwheels222

What version of photoshop are you using?

If you look under Image>Mode is the mode Bitmap?

Does changing the image mode to RGB Color make a difference?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to hotwheels222

It might be that the rotations other than 90 degree increments need interpolation methods that don't work well in the bitmap mode because your limited to only two colors.

( if i'm wrong about the above, perhaps Chris Cox will give the correct reason)

Do you need more than two colors in the image?

You should be able to go to RGB Color after Grayscale, which i should have said in my first response, but you don't need to unless you need more than two colors in the image.

Was the image a color image before the scan?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Correct - arbitrary rotations and resampling are not possible on bitmap or indexed color images, only on continuous tone images.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly,

Though I should know better, this bit me just yesterday with a scanned B/W Image. Nothing was working. Pull some hair. Still nothing working. Mumble some bad words. Checked Image Mode = Bitmap - DUH! Luckily, I did not loose THAT much hair, but still sat for longer than I should have had to.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to hotwheels222

I would go back to the Kinkos, and insist that they re-do the scans correctly, at no charge. Probably want to speak to the Manager, not just someone behind the counter.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

Scan in grayscale to pick up more detail.

And yes, the resolution will determine how much detail you capture plus the level of pixelization.

But higher resolutions may also show more defects (dust, scratches, etc.).

Usually you capture at the highest optical resolution of the scanner, and the highest quality mode (gray, RGB) that makes sense for the item being scanned -- then clean it up and convert down as necessary.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points