Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sliced in PS header showing tiny lines in DW built page ??

Apr 4, 2013 1:10 PM

I

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

Not surprising. Using PS-generated code as a real web page is usually a fatal mistake.

If you want to know why this is happening, then we will need a link to the page (that means you will have to upload it somewhere), or as a much poorer alternative, paste the code for the page into a reply here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

First, your page is much too wide - at 1456px, it's more than 50% wider than the usual lowest common screen size (1024). I never make pages wider than 980px.

Anyhow, where are the 'tiny lines' you are talking about?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

<table width="1456" border="0">

That's too wide.

If you are going to use a table-based layout, then your table tags need to have cellpadding="0" and cellspacing="0" attributes added to tighten the cells up.

In Safari and OSX 10.8, I do not see any breakage in that table containing the header image at any text size setting. Why did you slice that image the way you did anyhow?  Why not just use a single image?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

There should be no specified widths or graphics in your code that are greater than 980px total. You have several.

Also, I'm still curious why you sliced the header image as you did? Why not just use a single image.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

To fit in the viewable area of the average user's display. 

Google labs - Browser Size

http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/

Just because somebody has a 2300+px wide display doesn't mean they keep it maximized to anything near that.  Also don't forget that many internet users are on mobiles & tablets now.   Some smartphones are getting wider while Tablets are getting smaller.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points