Skip navigation
DaisPeach
Currently Being Moderated

16 bit depth photo restoration, older version of Photoshop.

Apr 4, 2013 2:18 PM

Tags: #photoshop #photo #depth #bit #older #scanning #16 #restoration

I use an older version of Photoshop.  It is able to import and read a 16 bit depth file.  Though it is limited in what it can do with this bit depth, it can do the levels and curves adjustments on an image. I want to have the best quality scan to start with for photo restoration in my older Photoshop. I won't be able to directly import the file with my older Photoshop from the scanner.  If I scan a photo as a 16 bit 600 ppi image, I'm afraid color information will be lost when I open it in the older Photoshop.  Is there any way I can open and save such a file without losing all that good color information? I know I would need to save it in a format that supports 16 bit depth like png versus jpeg.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to DaisPeach

Photoshop 7 should be able to open an 16 bits/channel image that youv'e scanned without losing any more color information than photoshop cs6.

(some scanners call 16 bits/channel 48 bit color)

And Photoshop 7 can save 16 bits/channel images as psd or tiff files.

You should set the scanner to save the scan as a tiff file. RGB Color.

As you've no doubt discovered , editing an 16 bits/channel image in photoshop can be a challenge, so if you plan on doing a lot of those, you might consider upgrading to photoshop cs6 where high bit depth images are much

easier to work with.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to DaisPeach

DaisPeach wrote:

I use an older version of Photoshop.

Uh, what version?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to DaisPeach

If you scan the file to a folder on your hard drive at 16 bits/channel, then photoshop 7 should open the file at 16 bits/channel.

What scanner and operating system are you using?

You should verify your scanner settings to make sure your actually outputting the file to 16 bit/channel.

(48 bit color as some scanners call it)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to DaisPeach

Not exactly sure how Image Capture works on lion, but i belive i read that since os x 10.5 that it should scan in 16 bits/channel

Are you able to use the software that came with the scanner instead of Image Capture or maybe you need to update your scanner software or

possibly check the preference in the Image Capture scanner preferences to use Twain Software When Possible.

Or scanner software like VueScan which is much better than most software that ships with scanners.

http://www.hamrick.com/

Anyway if the scan is saved as a 16 bits/channel tif as output by the scanner to a place (folder) on your hard drive, then ps7 should open it as such.

16.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to DaisPeach

The above is a screenshot from photoshop 7 on a older pre intel mac os x system, but it should be the same as far as the menus from File to Help as os 9.

I do have an os 9 system, but it only has up to photoshop 6 on it.

(photoshop 7 won't work on lion)

You might check to see if you scanner has any updated software for lion compatibilty or bug fixes.

Also the VueScan mentioned above has trial versions which may make your scanner work much better with lion.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points