Skip navigation
Stwyman
Currently Being Moderated

Suggestions for website hosting

Apr 7, 2013 10:05 PM

Tags: #hosting_plan

I am in search of a web host for a private practice counseling website that I will design using Dreamweaver.  Do I need to choose the host before I begin designing the site?  There is so much information and I am overwhelmed.  I am having a hard time making a decision and am stuck.  Does anyone have information about or positive reviews of the hosts you are using? 

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 10:54 PM   in reply to Stwyman

There are lot of hosts that offer very competitive pricing as well as great features. No it is not necessary that you have to choose the host before you begin designing the site - but it is recommended, especially if you run into trouble with some code and need help, you could share the page with us on this forum or outside for someone to look at your code.

There is no such thing as good/ bad host - only some big companies like G*D**dy offer poor support and lot of fine print. Smaller companies usually provide 'real' support and offer most things that you need. You could start as low as $5-$10/month with companies like:

• 1and1.com
    • hostgator.com
    • justhost.com
    • bluehost.com

The last 3 companies belong to the same parent group umbrella - you'll find mixed reviews about those 3 - but 1and1, in my experience is pretty good and reliable.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to Stwyman

Set-up your local site definition in DW.   When you get remote hosting, add those log-in details to your site definition.

If you have a web developer working with you, ask him/her which server-side programining languages and databases you will need.  He/she may have some hosting recommendations too.  This will reduce your choices to a handful  that fit your needs.

Shared hosting on Linux servers is usually the most affordable way to start.

• Lunarpages
    • InMotion
    • Dreamhost
    • Pair Networks

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers