Skip navigation
Amanda10990
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get rid of the extra space to the left of my web page while centering the content?

Apr 4, 2013 6:40 PM

Tags: #cs5 #dreamweaver

Problem!.jpg

I'm a beginner at using dreamweaver and this is my first web page that I'm trying to make for class. I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of that excess black space towards the left. I would either like that same amount of space to the right so the text isn't so close to the edge, or at least move the content over so there isn't so much of a gap. I've tried aligning the content towards the center and everything, but so far, I'm stumped. I would really appreciate any help I can get!

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 10:51 PM   in reply to Amanda10990

This would have to do either with a conflicting width parameter or a padding/ margin configuration.

Can we see a link to your webpage or at least the full HTML + CSS code?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to Amanda10990

Just to expand a little on Sudarshan's reply, and perhaps to inform you as a beginner, I will say that everything you see on the screen in DW's Design view is completely dictated by the underlying HTML and CSS (and perhaps javascript and server scripting). In addition, if that code is somehow made to contain invalid usages, then the effect of that on DW's Design view, and ultimately on the rendering of the page is completely unpredictable but most likely always destructive to the desired layout.

As a result of this, any answers to questions you might pose about layout would always need to begin with an examination of the VALID code. That means you can shortcut what often becomes many tedious steps (as seen in this forum over and over again) by first validating your code with the W3C's validator (http://validator.w3.org) and fixing those errors highlighted that you are able to fix. It is perfectly reasonable to ask here about errors that you don't understand or don't know how to fix.

Once you have your page built with valid code, then we can begin the task of troubleshooting your layout. And again, the best way to do this (and to enhance the likelihood of getting a useful answer) would be to upload your page and its dependent files to some webspace that you control, and include a link to that uploaded page in your post.

Make sense? You will really help us help you by doing this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points