Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Build time on Encore CS6

Apr 4, 2013 7:23 PM

I dynamic-linked from Premiere Pro CS6 to Encore CS6, only a 2.7GB file and going to standard DVD. Maxed out Mac, mulitple fast drives and started the build about 2 1/2 hours ago. It is about ten per cent done. Wow, what a screamer!  Reminds me of when I ran Premiere 4.2, using a Media 100 board, a super fast RAID system:  took five hours to render a five minute clip. Maybe this build will be ready by the time I get to NAB on Tuesday?  Oh wait, they might have a new upgrade by then.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to JimmyFunGuy9

Do you want help, or do you just want to rant?  Your most recent post in the Pr forum was equally off-putting.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to JimmyFunGuy9

>only a 2.7GB file and going to standard DVD

Are you starting with a DV file from a tape camera, so no down rezzing is required?

Or are you starting with a HiDef source so the output must be altered to fit on a DVD?

How many and what Effects have you applied to the video?

A general comment... I never use Dynamic Link, because I have read of some problems... export DVD legal files from PPro and use those for Encore authoring

Some people have Dynamic Link Problems

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/936216

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/938108

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/938549

Encoding notes http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1094516

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to John T Smith

If you want help to resolve the issue, then please share your workflow with us.

Certain effects can take a very long time to render, especially some third-party stuff, so that could be an issue, we don't know though.

I have a two-year-old Core i7-2600 PC. For reference, I can export an 1920x1080 timeline to MPEG-2 DVD a little faster than realtime most of the time, with effects applied. For DV footage, a 2-hour timeline exports in 10 minutes. Yes, 10 minutes.

I take the resulting files into Encore, and with or without menus, I can burn to an .iso file in about two minutes. So if your system is taking many hours, let's not jump on Adobe right away, something is obviously going on in your particular workflow.

As mentioned, avoid using DL, just export as "MPEG-2 DVD" format and Import as Timeline into Encore then.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to JimmyFunGuy9

Didn't mean to confuse things with mentioning building an .iso file. This has no bearing on your issue. Was just trying to illustrate that IF you do the encoding out of AME, so that Encore does not need to do transcoding, then the final build in Encore is very fast. I could also have said "I can burn to a full DVD in under 10 minutes". I thought 2 minutes sounded better ;-)

Regardless of whether "building" to a DVD, Folder, or Image, that should take the same amount of time to encode.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

Did you verify the bit rate? You don't want to encode only to find the resulting file is too large for the DVD. Using DL automates this, but you are on your own when manually encoding.

What is the length of the video? A rule of thumb is 560/minutes=rate (but not to exceed 8), and I always round down the result a little for safety margin. For instance, 560/120=4.66, so I encode at 4.5 rate then. There are also many "bitrate calculators" available for use online, just do a web search.

Note that the combined audio and video files may appear too large for a DVD, but Encore transcodes audio to .ac3 which shrinks it. PC starts with uncompressed .wav audio from AME, not sure what Mac uses. With CS6, there is now an option under AUDIO tab in AME to actually make the .ac3 right there, otherwise it is fine to use default and Encore will handle the audio transcode later.

Good luck

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to JimmyFunGuy9

>HD DVD, SD DVD

I only do DVD, down-rezzed from AVCHD... but I have read other messages that indicate that in spite of what the manual SAYS, you really need to do separate projects for BluRay and DVD... since the different menu screens do not scale well (at all ???) between the different output versions

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points