Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 is not ready for prime time

Apr 4, 2013 8:20 PM

I loved v10 - well, at least because it never crashed. The timeline was a dog but oh well.

I just upgraded to v11. At first I loved it. The timeline is responsive, I can actually scroll around on the timeline. But the darn thing crashes, I lose work, the titler does stupid crazy things with my text when typing and that damned Render button popup thing that shows up every few seconds is a major pain in the neck - why can't I turn that stupid thing off?

How can you let me upgrade when this thing is obviously not ready? When will there be an update? What are you guys thinking over there?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 8:57 PM   in reply to 49pmchris

Sorry that you are having the problems.

PrE 11 does tax one's system, more than some previous versions, but in about 5 mos., I have not had one crash, or even a hang, and my laptop is now very underpowered.

Sorry,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to 49pmchris

I skipped from PrE 4 to PrE 11, missing everything in between.

I am still working my way around PrE 11, and have to admit that I liked PrE 3 best, with PrE 4 next. However, that is because PrE 3 was closer to my PrPro versions, that I use so much more often.

Still, I have not been able to crash PrE 11 yet, and only crashed PrE 4 a couple of times - mostly by doing what I should not have been doing, i.e. OE.

Now, I have only had one crash on PrPro, with years of use, and that crash had zero to do with the program - it was caused by an outside simulus.

As a way to help (maybe?), if you have not seen this FAQ Entry, I would take a good look at it: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

If the first two parts are not useful, or helpful, then the third part - troubleshooting - might offer some details, and especially the "Finding Clues" link.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

Can you articulate the particular problems?

It could well be that there are "fixes" for those - or maybe not.

I notice that PrE 11 does interface even more with the video driver, than my old PrE 4 did. I skipped everything in between, so have no comments on those versions.

With the OS on my current laptop (XP-Pro SP3), and my nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX, I am at the end of the driver update path. nVidia is not issuing any new ones. Because of that, my PrE 11 has some display issues (manifested in the Program Monitor, which flickers and acts wonky). The display in PrE 4 is still rock steady.

However, other than that display issue, PrE 11 has also been steady on my computer (underpowered by today's standards). Things HAVE moved about, and I am still in the learning curve, but I have not encountered any problems.

With the release of PrE 8, we saw users with tons of problems. That slacked off with PrE 9, and then PrE 10 seemed to be rock stable. Maybe it's because PrE 11 is so new, but I have not seen many problems, outside of the normal "AVCHD play roughly on my Pentium D," etc.

Maybe knowing the problems that you are facing, will lead to some solutions.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

>update server is not responding

Check for updates manually... All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

Let's take a look at each of these:

the titler - not always, but very often - erases what I'm typing and puts "Add Text" back into the box.

I have never encountered this behavior. Text in a Title is an Object, just like a Shape, but with a difference - it contains Type, so can be Selected by two different Tools: the Type Tool (one can click within Text, and type, one can click+drag the Type Tool to Select and edit the entire portion of Text, or just a single character within it. One can also Select the Text Object, like any other Object, with the Selection Tool (arrow), and Scale it, Move it or, when Selected, Delete it. Sometimes, those two different functions can get confusing.

When you go to change the Text in a Text Object (those "placeholder" Texts are an example - like the "Add Text" placeholder). When your typing is not taking, exactly what are the steps that you are using?

Also, though the "look" of the Titler has changed in PrE 11 (Tabs now, rather than a single, full Toolbox), I do not know of any functional changes in Titler. Maybe others know of such, but I have not encountered them yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

Timeline snap gets turned off all the time, probably when I type the letter S into a title or something stupid like that.

Yes, as you point out, Snap is toggled ON/OFF with the S key. If one thinks that they are typing in a Text Object, but are not, then hitting the S key WILL toggle to other state, either ON, or OFF.

I think that when we get the behavior in the Titler straightened out, you should not be bucking against the Snap toggle.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to 49pmchris
    It doesn't remember which transition category you selected from one project to another. I don't want 3D motion, I want Dissolve.

I agree that this is an annoyance. In most Adobe programs, many things ARE "sticky," in that the program remembers what was last chosen, like Export settings, Characters, Project settings, etc.. It appears that the Transitions (and probably a few more functions), default to the folder/location that is alpha-numerically first, like the 3D Transitions. In most cases, I like the "sticky" settings/selections.

As I normally only use a couple of Transitions, such as Dip-to-Black, Cross-Dissolve or just a Butt-Cut, I would like Dissolves to always be my first option.

I will conduct a little experiment, and report back. If that comes out, as I hope, I will report, but otherwise, I agree completely with you. I think that it was about 1998, when I last used a 3D Transition.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] My idea did not work. I set Dip-to-Black as the Default Transition, Saved my Project, then launched and Opened that Project. Transitions STILL went to 3D. So much for my idea. That had zero effect.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

My PrE11 quit in the middle of a project once.  I changed my Auto Save to every 5 minutes.  Since then it has not quit so I have not needed to use it. 

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

That stupid "Render" button popup message shows up constantly - it is so distracting, I'm trying to get work done here. I have not found a way to turn that off. Plus: I don't need to render because my computer is fast enough and plays everything just fine without rendering.

I have never encountered this pop-up, but then all my Projects have been quite simple, and my Source Footage matched the Project Preset 100%.

Do you get this, after you have added a lot of Effects, or while doing something else?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

After adding tranitions, photos, adjustments, etc., I get a yellow line.  If I press Enter for it to go away, a box pops up with a counter.  As long as the box is there, you can't do anything but wait.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

Do you mean the Rendering progress bar? If so, you are correct that during the Rendering operation, no additional editing is possible. Depending on what has to be done in Rendering, the Duration of the Timeline, or part to be Rendered, and the user's computer, that can be very quick, or take a few minutes.

I normally only bother Rendering, when I am doing a lot of Keyframing of Effects, or when adding a lot of Effects, where I need to see things at the best/smoothest quality I can get. Then, I use the WAB to limit the Rendering to just that part of my Timeline. That speeds things up greatly.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

Ah, now I understand. You are referring to the Tooltips. See this image, to turn those off.

PrE11_Tooltips.png

Note: that is a global setting so ALL Tooltips will be OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to 49pmchris

Then that one (and maybe others?) are not controlled by that.

In some Adobe programs, Tooltips can be turned completely OFF, but in some others, they cannot. I guess that is definitely one that cannot be turned off.

Sorry,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points