Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does scaling distort objects?

Apr 5, 2013 8:08 AM

I can't get certain graphics to scale down correctly correctly.

Take a look at the 2 jpegs enclosed - one solid, the other with 1px outline. The graphic men were originally 40mm tall.

scaling-distorts.jpgscaling-distorts-outline.jpg

In each case the one on the left is the original. The one on the right is the same graphic reduced to 25% then enlarged to 400%. Both should look the same.

Does anyone know how to stop these distortions from happening?

I've tried adding and releasing Compound Path, Grouping and Ungrouping, Selecting and deselecting 'Scale Stroke and Effects'. No combination works!

I'm especially confused about 'Scale Stroke and Effects'. Surely when it's selected, the outline should reduce to 0.25 px. It doesn't - it stays at 1px.

Any ideas? I'm quite happy to send anyone my original Illustrator files to test.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to RalphDCW

Ralph,

Untick Align to Pixel Grid in the Transform panel (there are two places, one for selected objects and one for new objects.

And avoid document types with that as default when unwanted, or change the default; those are the ones in RGB basically meant for web/screen/similar use.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to RalphDCW

You are welcome, Ralph.

So am I right in saying that the problem only occurred because I originally created the graphic on an Illustrator page set for the web (RGB, pixels)?

Even though I copied and pasted the graphic onto a print page (CMYK, mm)?

You are right. Once it is there, it has to be exorcized, or it will haunt its victim forever.

But, is it just me, or is this the most bizarre, obscure feature ever?

It is by far the most frequent issue dealt with in this forum, has been since the bug sorry feature was introuced.

It has many strange, some very strange, effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to RalphDCW

RalphDCW wrote:

But Align to Pixel Grid is not mentioned in the options list - and is clearly not the same as Align New Objects to Pixel Grid.

Both address the same issue. "Align to Pixel grid" is an object's attribute. The setting "Align new objects to the pixel grid" causes that every new object will get this attribute and will then behave accordingly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to RalphDCW

Ralph,

Align New Objects to Pixel Grid is quite crucial if you are (still) in a document with it as default and therefore ticked, or the issue will recur with each new object.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to RalphDCW

But, is it just me, or is this the most bizarre, obscure feature ever?

It's not just you. Most ill-conceived and poorly implemented feature ever--and for this program,  that's saying alot.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points