Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is the spinning pinwheel showing up so much?

Apr 5, 2013 9:19 AM

Tags: #photoshop #edit #pinwheel

I cleared out my cache folders from Premire Pro and Encore recently.  Now when ever I'm in Photoshop I am consistently getting the spinning pinwheel on very simple edits.

Example, I open a very small JPG, and add a box to it.  Just dragging the box, I will get a spinning pinwheel.  I don't get it on any other applications.

Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to dkardell

What version of Photoshop? What OS? How much ram? How large are your HDs? Where is your scratch disk and how much free space?

What you've told us is not enough to offer any help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to dkardell

Are you working on big documents, or is it sluggish all the time?

There have been some long-running threads on sluggish performance.  I'm not sure anyone's ever nailed anything down.

It's always possible an alternate GPU setting might help (press the [Advanced Settings...] button in the dialog you showed above).  Make sure and Quit and restart Photoshop after any settings change, to make sure you're really testing it.

Also it might not hurt, especially if there was a time when it worked smoothly and things changed, to clear all your preference settings to default.  To do that press and hold Command-Shift-Option while cold-starting Photoshop, then confirm the "delete current preferences" dialog.

Good luck.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Any third party plugins?  Have you tried disabling them?

Any font manager utilities?  Have you tried disabling them?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 7:20 PM   in reply to dkardell

dkardell wrote:

Now when ever I'm in Photoshop I am consistently getting the spinning pinwheel on very simple edits.

In general, spinning beachballs indicate that the OS is paging heavily because of not enough free ram. That can come from having too many apps open and not enough free ram (post a screenshot of Activity Monitor showing System Memory). 8 gigs is enough if ONLY Photoshop is open but if you have a ton of other apps also open, the system will use it's own virtual memory to page out and that's when the spinning beachball takes over.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

As explained by Jeff Schewe, 8GB of RAM is fine for Photoshop provided you have no other applications running.

You are also being held back by the lack of a separate, dedicated drive for Photoshop scratch.

Photoshop is indeed a memory hog, more than other applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

As explained by Jeff Schewe, 8GB of RAM is fine for Photoshop provided you have no other applications running.

That was a gross oversimplification which may be true when retouching and adjusting 30 megapixel images. 8 GB RAM can be far more than is needed or far less than is needed at any given time, depending on the size of documents, tools/features being used, the number of history states being maintained, etc, etc, etc.

I have only 8 GB RAM, yet sometimes I will simultaneously run, and be frequently switching between, Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema 4D and a bunch of multi-tab Safari windows and never see a spinning beachball for hours.

At other times I may have only Photoshop open, and with a single document, and there will be frequent and lengthy periods of spinning beachball.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to dkardell

dkardell wrote:

I cleared out my cache folders from Premire Pro and Encore recently.  Now when ever I'm in Photoshop I am consistently getting the spinning pinwheel on very simple edits.

Example, I open a very small JPG, and add a box to it.  Just dragging the box, I will get a spinning pinwheel.  I don't get it on any other applications.

Thoughts?

dkardell, if you reboot the computer then launch only Photoshop and try your simple editing of a very small JPEG, then does the same spinning beachball happen?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to dkardell

You certainly should check for font problems when there are mysterious problems with running Photoshop. This link may be a good place to start: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to dkardell

Consistant SBB is a graphic sign of something on your system gone array. It happens!

Try this: download the 10.8.3 combo updater... http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640

Run the installer to give yourself a fresh, new system install.

Came across the irksome SBB problem after an errant update to an app a few days ago. Other than losing some pref files, my system was back to normal. Haven't seen the SBB since.

Good Luck! 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to dkardell

If its only photoshop, itself, that was acting up, than it could very well be font related. There have been numerous instances in the past related to fonts messing up PS performance.

My problem, however, was manifesting itself systemwide... driving me bunkers for a while. Reinstalling fresh system files solved all my problems. Quick, effective results and I won't hesitate to do it again at any sign of future issues.

Best!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to macman0072

Most likely that was font related -- but we have seen slowdowns with the middle eastern composer due to VERY slow OS API calls (and we're still trying to figure out why those are taking forever).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points