Skip navigation
kruserm
Currently Being Moderated

Can Premiere do this?

Apr 5, 2013 10:56 AM

Tags: #help #video #premiere #elements #11 #premiere_elements

I have PE11 and I am trying to figure out how to do some of the things in this video with PE11, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBJ4M2sWAKk.  Starting at 1:52-2:00 where you get that video skip effect.  Also at 2:40 where you have a ghost effect and then come back and pick the ghost.  Is it possible to do these same effects with PE11, if so how?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to kruserm

Yes, Premiere Elements can do the "skipping" thing. That's just slow motion with a couple of cuts in it.

The second effect is a rather sophisticated version of what you can do with Premiere Elements' Ghost effect. (It was probably done in After Effects, so it's a bit higher end. But you can do something very similar in Premiere Elements.) Though it could simply be several videos layered on top of one another with 50% opacity.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to kruserm

Hey guys,

i am trying hard with those ghost-effects shown in the video with my premiere elements 12 - this effect is also referred to as echo effect or frame freeze effect and is really nice variation is applied here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPr32OYuEmo at 1:40 and 2:58.

Is this effect possible in PE 12, too and by the way, is there any tutorial you know about which shows how to do these effects in PE?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to henner_mo

That looks a lot like the Posterize Time effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

From the video authors info:

Editing Software: Sony Vegas Pro 10 (recorded in 1080p - 60fps in protune)

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to nealeh

nealeh wrote:

From the video authors info:

Editing Software: Sony Vegas Pro 10 (recorded in 1080p - 60fps in protune)

This fact does not say whether Premiere Elements can do this - i cannot imagine that this effect is unique to the Sony Software, is it?!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

The posterize time effect - as i know - enables you to alter the framerate and i could not find it in the elements version of premiere either. Could  you please explain how an altered framerate explains the effect in the Ken Block video?

thank you for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to henner_mo

No. Posterize Time has nothing to do with the frame rate.

Have you tried it? It creates a visual echo effect, similar to the one in the video. (The effect in the video was likely produced by a more sophisticated program like After Effects, and may well involve a complicated layering and matting of several videos.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

No. Posterize Time has nothing to do with the frame rate.

ok, i will take a closer look at it.

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Have you tried it? It creates a visual echo effect, similar to the one in the video. (The effect in the video was likely produced by a more sophisticated program like After Effects, and may well involve a complicated layering and matting of several videos.)

You are right - after effects is perfectly suitable for such effects, unfortunately i do not have acces to this software, thats why i was looking for some kind of a workaround in premiere elements in the first place.

thank you for your help anyway!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Could you elaborate on your statement "Posterize Time has nothing to do with the frame rate."?

To the contrary, it would appears that it does. According to the Premiere Elements Effects Reference

Posterize Time

The Posterize Time effect changes the frame rate of a clip to one you choose. You can use it to slow a 30-fps clip to 24 fps, for example, to give it the look of film, slow it to 18 fps to simulate the jerkiness of old home movies, or slow it even further to give it a strobe effect.

And according to the version 11 Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Posterize adjustment panel once this effect is applied to a clip....

Effect.JPG

In the books that you have written, going back to version 2, you seem to say that Posterize Time allow you to change frame rate. So, what is different now that makes you change your view of that function.

Here I am not addressing how it works or how well it works, just the question of the Adobe description including frame rate adjust.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points